turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help identifying this tree

Started by paboxcall, August 06, 2018, 10:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paboxcall

What is this tree? Found it this evening on a drive here in Pennsylvania, however the property owner was new, and didn't know what it was. I have never seen anything like this. The property owner did say they thought the tree might be from "down south." Can someone help? Smelled like we were standing among 1,000 roses. Very fragrant.

Thanks for the help!
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

jshark14

Mimosa tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paboxcall

Thanks jshark - I have never noticed this tree before, and it is stunning to see in person.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

WiLL B

1iagobblergetter

That's neat. Never seen or heard of them before.

bbcoach

Very invasive root system.  Do not plant them near home foundations, sewer systems or any pipes.  The roots will invade, drill through and destroy.  They can be very costly and damaging.

Turkeytider

Quote from: jshark14 on August 06, 2018, 10:48:44 PM
Mimosa tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bingo! All over the South. Didn`t know they could tolerate the cold and grow that far north.

Spitten and drummen

Yep... Mimosa. We have them all over down here in southwest ms.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Yoder409

Yep.  Mimosa

Had no idea they'd grow up here in the Great White North, let alone bloom.......
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

THattaway

Interesting that the leaves seem to be closed up. Plenty of them in SC. I've known some folks to make calls from them. The sawdust from working the wood is pretty irritating so I'm told.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Boykin Hollow

Humming birds love this tree !!!!

monty690

Quote from: bbcoach on August 07, 2018, 07:59:26 AM
Very invasive root system.  Do not plant them near home foundations, sewer systems or any pipes.  The roots will invade, drill through and destroy.  They can be very costly and damaging.

Yes indeed!!!
Quote from: Boykin Hollow on August 07, 2018, 06:12:39 PM

Humming birds love this tree !!!!

They sure do.

paboxcall

Quote from: THattaway on August 07, 2018, 03:01:39 PM
Interesting that the leaves seem to be closed up. Plenty of them in SC. I've known some folks to make calls from them. The sawdust from working the wood is pretty irritating so I'm told.

It was dusk, and the leaves on this tree close up like that every night.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: paboxcall on August 07, 2018, 11:49:45 PM
Quote from: THattaway on August 07, 2018, 03:01:39 PM

It was dusk, and the leaves on this tree close up like that every night.
They will close up if to stroke along the leaf too.  Odd to see a tree react to touch like that.  Had one in the front yard growing up.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!