One Reason It Is Harder To Hunt Public Ground

Started by silvestris, July 27, 2018, 11:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silvestris

U.S. Population according to Siri:

1930 - 122,775,046
1970 - 203,302,031
2018 - 329,145,963

Methinks it is past time to rethink our immigration policy.  I am not encouraging anyone to take up turkey hunting unless they crave heartbreak.  This is not because of selfish motives as I just turned seventy and my time will soon be through.  Just an honest observation.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

sasquatch1

Much bigger reasons this is the case other than immigration. In a sense, and Ik it's gonna sound goofy but the quickest way to make sense of it is that the human population is controlled by feelings and not the way everything else is/was naturally meant to be. But, we still try to manage animals for "carrying capacity". Which that carrying capacity will always get smaller if we spread out more and more like we do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HookedonHooks

More population = more hunters

BUT.... as Sasquatch is getting at

More population = more habitat loss for turkeys. And this in my opinion is hurting the population more than the road hunting, instragram warriors even are.

GobbleNut

Quote from: silvestris on July 27, 2018, 11:53:24 PM
Methinks it is past time to rethink our immigration policy. 

...And perhaps the notion that a lot of folks seem to have that birth control goes against "God's will".
No arguments or preaching needed,...just pointing out obvious philosophical contradictions some folks have...
Go figure....

1iagobblergetter

How much Public hunting ground had been purchased from 1930-2018 though??
I do agree we have lost ground do to population. I think we've lost more due to a change in time. Fewer people own more ground and are worried more about getting sued over a hunting accident then having a few animals killed to save a few dollars of crop damage which in turn puts more pressure on public hunting areas.

GobbleNut

Quote from: HookedonHooks on July 28, 2018, 09:30:16 AM
More population = more habitat loss for turkeys. And this in my opinion is hurting the population more than the road hunting, instragram warriors even are.

On the other side of this coin is the obsession some organizations have about recruiting more and more new hunters.  How does that into the "crowded public lands" equation?

Sir-diealot

Quote from: GobbleNut on July 28, 2018, 09:55:05 AM
Quote from: HookedonHooks on July 28, 2018, 09:30:16 AM

On the other side of this coin is the obsession some organizations have about recruiting more and more new hunters.  How does that into the "crowded public lands" equation?
It helps to keep the land public and available to us as we will have a bigger voice. I do understand where you are coming from though.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Spitten and drummen

My opinion is the same as everyone elseso far. Another factor i think is all the videos and you tube things showing them that grab a call , sit by a tree and hammer on the call like a scalded dog and gobblers come running.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

silvestris

On a field with a spread of decoys.

Please note that I said " one reason.  I hunt as often as I can, but success becomes harder with increased years, a stroke,diabetes, and a brain injury from a bathroom fall.  I can control the disease, but I have no control on the other factors, despite my remarkable recovery from the stroke and injury.  My deficits exist but I can get to most of the spots I hunt, but it takes more time, and a little less sleep.

Immigration, with serious pressure on our elected officials, can be halted.  Potential immigrants should be eager to become good Americans and have something to contribute in maintaining our culture.

However, the other factors mentioned in the above posts are certainly relevant.  I just wish you all success and more importantly, pleasure.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on July 28, 2018, 10:27:38 AM
My opinion is the same as everyone elseso far. Another factor i think is all the videos and you tube things showing them that grab a call , sit by a tree and hammer on the call like a scalded dog and gobblers come running.

And I also agree with all but the birth control comment. The thing is if we do not recruit more we will lose our voice in the political circles as little as it is now and that will lead to the loss of public land to hunters/trappers and fisher persons.

It is a crazy fight but without more new outdoor sports persons our traditions and our voices will go the way of the dodo bird.

In addition to being a hunter and fishermen I am a ham radio operator and because that is not as popular as it once was there is less of a voice for us and we are losing frequencies to operate on and the same thing will happen to sportspersons if we do not grow.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

silvestris

Sir-diealot

Quote from: silvestris on July 28, 2018, 11:51:23 AM
Then, the battle is lost.
Only if we take the attitude of "I just want it to be for me and mine" and do not increase our numbers.

John Koenig:

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: silvestris on July 28, 2018, 11:51:23 AM
Then, the battle is lost.
I agree we are losing the battle,but the battle is only lost when everyone quits fighting. I for one won't quit that easy...

Yoder409

I think, a little bit of it is that a larger percentage of the folks hunting public ground have zero vested interest in the property and do things they'd not do if they were hunting a piece of private...........their own OR someone else's.

Kinda like the "drive it like you stole it" mentality of having a rental car or living in Section 8 housing.  You can just walk away from it and not look back.  Leave the effects of your sin for someone ELSE to deal with.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Yoder409 on July 28, 2018, 12:40:52 PM
I think, a little bit of it is that a larger percentage of the folks hunting public ground have zero vested interest in the property and do things they'd not do if they were hunting a piece of private...........their own OR someone else's.

Kinda like the "drive it like you stole it" mentality of having a rental car or living in Section 8 housing.  You can just walk away from it and not look back.  Leave the effects of your sin for someone ELSE to deal with.
I do agree with this. Take for instance cigarette butts, I see so many people throwing them away on both private and especially public land. I used to be one of those that did but I was watching a movie one night or maybe it was just a show but it was a crime solver type of show and I remember in the one scene the cop or PI deduced that they perp may have had a military background because he had waited in the woman's house for her to come home and he also smoked there. The thing that tipped the guy that he may be military is that instead of butting the cigarette out like most people do and leaving it in the ashtray he had emptied the tobacco out after he had butted it and took the filtered part with him and that is something they do on military bases so that they don't have butts all over the place. Ever since then I would put the cigarette out empty the remaining tobacco and then put the butt in my pocket so I did not leave a mess of butts behind. It was just something that did not occurred to me but I wanted to respect the land I was able to hunt on. I make it a point to try to make the place better than when I got there. I carry trash bags in case I see a mess I can take it with me, especially when you see it on public land under a tree stand and there are a ton of beer cans and hand warmers all over underneath the stand, that is not an image we need.

John Koenig: