OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Favorite Jeff Mckamey shortbox

Started by Pooh4459, July 13, 2018, 02:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pooh4459

What are your favorite shortbox combos of Mckameys? I see a bunch of talking about some longbox combos but not much on his shortboxes.

Pooh4459

Nobody has any Mckamey shortboxes they like?

Adirondacks89

I'd pick a wood combo you like and take your chances. I've emailed him multiple times and never gotten a response. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doublespurs21

I have a older short box from jeff. paduak over black limba. I really like this old box.

KYTURKEY

Quote from: Adirondacks89 on July 15, 2018, 12:16:49 PM
I'd pick a wood combo you like and take your chances. I've emailed him multiple times and never gotten a response. Good luck.

I would try calling him. I know he would rather talk to someone, than email. He can run several different combos for you, to make sure you get what you like.

KYTURKEY

Anything Jeff makes is going to be killer. It really come down to what you like. Also, ask him what combos he is liking at the moment. Every piece of wood is different, and going to sound different. He will know what he has on hand, that is making good calls.

Pooh4459

Really hes answered several of my emails and I've messaged him on Facebook and he always responds also. He's in the Cayman Islands with his family right now and has still taken the time to message me back a few different times.

Adirondacks89

Quote from: Pooh4459 on July 15, 2018, 03:23:08 PM

Really hes answered several of my emails and I've messaged him on Facebook and he always responds also. He's in the Cayman Islands with his family right now and has still taken the time to message me back a few different times.
I guess you're cooler than I am. Lol. Oh well, not my loss. I'll go elsewhere with my money. Just sharing my experience.

Maybe you should ask him what he likes in his short-boxes since you message and communicate with him a lot?

Dawson

I have several of Jeff's short boxes and all of them are top notch. He's a great down to earth guy and has always gotten back with me when I've contacted him. As far as the wood combination goes it really depends on what sound your looking for. Certain woods will have more rasp than others. He will not sell a call that doesn't meet his standards.

Dawson

I have a Butternut/Canarywood, Mineral Popular/Beech, Butternut/Chakte Viga, Mahogany/Rosewood, White Limba/Snakewood, and Butternut/Macassar Ebony.

Turkeytider

That was my experience as well. He came highly recommended by a long time friend and hunting buddy. Would have most certainly bought a box from him but he never returned my calls or emails. Al at SS and Mike with Spring Creek were quick to respond and now have my money.

Adirondacks89

Quote from: Turkeytider on July 15, 2018, 05:45:03 PM

That was my experience as well. He came highly recommended by a long time friend and hunting buddy. Would have most certainly bought a box from him but he never returned my calls or emails. Al at SS and Mike with Spring Creek were quick to respond and now have my money.
Dawkins, Halloran, Platz, Al and Josh at SS and Jeff White have all responded to me within minutes. Very impressed. People like Albert Paul and McKamey have not responded at all. I think they might only do orders for friends or people they have existing relationships with already. It is what it is. You can always but them in the classifieds if you really want them I suppose.

Pooh4459

I dont know wasn't trying to start a argument or talk bad about the man. Just was asking about people's  experience and opinion on the combos they have or have tried. Yes i have asked him what he recommends but just wanted to hear from guys that actually own them and have hunted with them. For you all that answered those questions thank you. I've never had a previous relationship with the man either.

Dawson what do you think about the Rosewood/ mahoghany? Never heard of white limba before.

Dawson

I would call Jeff a friend, and makes a great call. But I didn't know him at all before 2015. Was planning on buying 1 call the first time and was so impressed I ended up buying 2 of them.
Actually every custom call maker I have ordered a call from have been "good people". Some calls I've already received and some I still waiting on.  But I would say positive things about Buice, Watkins, Hudson, Fulkerson, Fetters, Mero, Ellis, Harwell, Parks, Hodgkins, Terefencko, Permar, Yingling, Schaffer, Fowler, and Eddleman as well. ( I'm sure there's more I've forgotten) And I hope when I order from other custom call makers this trend continues.

Dawson

Quote from: Pooh4459 on July 15, 2018, 07:03:49 PM
I dont know wasn't trying to start a argument or talk bad about the man. Just was asking about people's  experience and opinion on the combos they have or have tried. Yes i have asked him what he recommends but just wanted to hear from guys that actually own them and have hunted with them. For you all that answered those questions thank you. I've never had a previous relationship with the man either.

Dawson what do you think about the Rosewood/ mahoghany? Never heard of white limba before.

I really like the Rosewood/Mahogany. Due to wood import restrictions the rosewood may be out of the question. Just have to ask him. The White limba is similar to the black limba. The limba seems to make a real raspy call.   Shoot me a pm and I'll sent you my phone number and you can hear them.