OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Scientists find widely used pesticides in Ontario wild turkeys

Started by Sir-diealot, July 01, 2018, 07:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Interesting read. I know we have some Canadian members so I thought I would share. It would apply anywhere.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4283466/ontario-wilde-turkeys-pesticides/

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Spurs Up

Thanks for sharing this. No reason to think the same pesticides aren't in turkeys or any other birds that use ag fields in the U.S as they are widely used in farming corn, soybeans and cotton. Can't be helping turkeys but as long as you're not eating turkey livers, probably safe to eat. Still—between pesticides and diseases that can be passed on to people—being a locovore ain't all that it's cracked up to be...

Spitten and drummen

Sad thing is , nothing will change with that. Government will not step in as farming takes precidence over the wild turkey. Very very unfortionate.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

1iagobblergetter

I doubt anything will be done over night,but over time hopefully some changes will be made. Hopefully big money wont win.
Besides turkeys Bees are also being affected...One of my friends that owns a bunch of hives complains about it.

falltoms

I love eating wild Turkey.  Livers and all.  I'm not worried.  If you only knew what was in meat you purchase from a store

Spurs Up

Quote from: falltoms on July 01, 2018, 07:25:08 PM
I love eating wild Turkey.  Livers and all.  I'm not worried.  If you only knew what was in meat you purchase from a store

And I'm not worried for you...

JonD.

Quote from: Sir-diealot on July 01, 2018, 07:39:43 AM
Interesting read. I know we have some Canadian members so I thought I would share. It would apply anywhere.

Unfortunately it is probably occurring everywhere.
And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. Acts 16:30-31

Sir-diealot

Quote from: JonD. on July 03, 2018, 10:00:31 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on July 01, 2018, 07:39:43 AM

Unfortunately it is probably occurring everywhere.
I do believe you are correct, I wish many of these things were outlawed.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Spurs Up on July 01, 2018, 05:30:07 PM
Thanks for sharing this. No reason to think the same pesticides aren't in turkeys or any other birds that use ag fields in the U.S as they are widely used in farming corn, soybeans and cotton. Can't be helping turkeys but as long as you're not eating turkey livers, probably safe to eat. Still—between pesticides and diseases that can be passed on to people—being a locovore ain't all that it's cracked up to be...

You're welcome.

Yea the thing is many of these things are not even needed to grow stuff, it is largely greed as to why the stuff is still being used. Also many farmers feel forced into or the need to use this stuff for a larger yield so they can stay afloat and that is a pity.

Nothing but respect for farmers and especially milk farmers Dairymen or whatever you want to call them because they can't even take a vacation many times because nobody can cover for them and the truth is there are not nearly as many people that know how to cover for them as there was when I was young. They feel the pressure to use this crap and others too, maybe more so than other farmers.

I try to eat as organic as I can but it is so incredibly expensive and that is one of the reasons I hunt, one deer can feed me for quite some time, months even. A turkey for close to a week if I do it right. Rabbit a day or two but all these animals are getting contaminated with who knows what and in many cases some of this stuff is outlawed in most large countries but not here which is scary.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on July 01, 2018, 06:47:51 PM
Sad thing is , nothing will change with that. Government will not step in as farming takes precidence over the wild turkey. Very very unfortionate.
Yes, I would love to see more certifed organic farms myself, but that brings problems with it when it comes to regulation to be certified. I think the land has to be confirmed not to have had any chemicals on it for the food on it to be certified organic I think 7 years is what I have heard. Many can't let their land sit that long without producing some kind of crop.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on July 01, 2018, 07:11:17 PM
I doubt anything will be done over night,but over time hopefully some changes will be made. Hopefully big money wont win.
Besides turkeys Bees are also being affected...One of my friends that owns a bunch of hives complains about it.
I believe bees where once of the first species they saw a significant detriment in from chemicals.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: falltoms on July 01, 2018, 07:25:08 PM
I do know, that is why the GF and I are trying to switch to organic food but right now we need a vehicle so we can't afford organic like we wish we could.

John Koenig:

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Sir-diealot on July 04, 2018, 01:52:46 AM
Yes, I would love to see more certifed organic farms myself, but that brings problems with it when it comes to regulation to be certified. I think the land has to be confirmed not to have had any chemicals on it for the food on it to be certified organic I think 7 years is what I have heard. Many can't let their land sit that long without producing some kind of crop.
I think I remember my brother saying 3 years..
I would imagine alot more farm animals would die early due to not being able to use antibiotics etc,but maybe they have organic remedies??

Sir-diealot

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on July 05, 2018, 10:22:13 PM
I would imagine alot more farm animals would die early due to not being able to use antibiotics etc,but maybe they have organic remedies??
They dealt with them for centuries without chemicals, no reason we still can't, though I do think much of that has become a forgotten art form.

John Koenig:

sasquatch1

Quote from: Sir-diealot on July 06, 2018, 11:31:38 PM
Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on July 05, 2018, 10:22:13 PM
They dealt with them for centuries without chemicals, no reason we still can't, though I do think much of that has become a forgotten art form.

Too many ppl now. WE are overpopulated basically. Need fast growing, long lasting, maxed out food supplies to keep up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk