turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Missouri week 1 cont. (my poor wife)

Started by coyotetrpr, April 24, 2011, 09:33:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyotetrpr

This morning we got up extra early(3:30am) so we could get in under some roosted birds. I knew we were safe when later that morning,as the sun started to come up, the gobblers started sounding off hard. At flydown time 3 gobblers and a jake flew in with 5 hens. The hens were feeding and one gobbler strutted for the whole bunch about 300 yds away. This henned up old boy wouldn't even answer a single call, but I had an ace up my sleeve. For the past few seasons I have been setting a full strut jake decoy with a couple hens. For the record, until this year I have been very tempted to shoot my decoy, because it has caused a lot of gobblers to not come in. However, I have found that when there are multiple hened up gobblers nothing seems to work better. Well, about thirty minuites went by and the hens and 1 gobbler and the jake fed way off into the cornfield, but the strutter and his sidekick seemed to stay near the edge of the grass feeding and strutting towards our setup. Finally the bigboy had had enough of the strutting jake and let out a booming gobble directly at us. I told my wife that he was mad now. A few yelps and 1 or 2 cuts with the mouthcall was all that he needed to hear. Here they came right at us in a real mean walk. My wife already had her gun up and on the rest(primos trigger stick is worth every penny),but we still could not move an inch. By the time she could move to get down on the gun the strutter had already flogged my jake decoy and knocked it off the stake. There they were at 20 yds and BOOM. First shot was a miss, but they stayed around. After some short-stroke ejection issues the chamber was hot again and BOOM. Poor girl missed again. She was sick and teared up a little. Ok you got me, she full-on cried. This is her first year of ever hunting anything and the nerves are killing her. First day 3 strutters come right in wing to wing and that really got to her at 15 yds. Then today the decoy gets mauled at 20 yds(it was loud as heck when that gobbler hit it) I think that shook her up good. All in all, what a great first week we have had. When she seals the deal this year will go down as probably the best ever.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

Preacher

I have felt her pain,  I am pulling for her.
Romans 8:37

paintbrush

Hognutz

I feel her pain.. Get her a red dot scope..It may help..Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

BOFF

Still exciting hunts!! Particularly with the wife and being able to share in the story telling to each other!!

It will only add to the satisfaction, and joy when it all comes together!!!

God Bless,
David B.

Struttin Spurs

Last year I went through the same thing. My wife missed....and cried too. I felt terrible for her. We are still working on getting her first bird. Maybe this year will be the year.....

Basser69

Good luck to her on getting her first bird! It will happen.

archery1

I FEEL THE PAIN.. TURKEY FEVER..... HOPE SHE GETS BACK ON THE SADDLE AND MAKES HER FIRST KILL SOON ..
THANKS FOR THE STORY
Take a kid hunting

gophert

Been there...done that....all i can say is Burris FF2.   Problem solved.