OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Finally gonna go.

Started by falltoms, June 27, 2018, 10:14:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

falltoms

After years of wanting a merriams turkey,  I am going west next spring to hunt.  I am going to hunt the black hills in SD, on public, DIY. Im also gonna hit north west Nebraska while I am there. I may hunt public in Nebraska, but considered a semi guided hunt. I have never went on a semi guided, or guided turkey hunt. I have always did it on my own, but if I go that route, any suggestions on a good guide in that area? 

aaron

Im also hitting the black hills next spring for the first time.  Not gonna look for a guide.  I've talked to more than one person that says if you're killing easterns with regularity, you shouldn't need a guide for merriams. We will find out!

NC pine chicken

I have a Army buddy from rapid city SD. He said the Merrill's are plentiful and stupid easy to kill, especially after hunting easterns with me. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guesswho

Take a rock.  If you get two tags take two rocks, maybe three in case you miss one.  I'd go with granite, its the TSS of rocks.

Seriously.  You shouldn't have any problem finding and killing a Merriam on public land.  My only concern would be the fact that they have had some major fires in recent years that destroyed a lot of habitat.  At least that's what I was told.  Good luck!!     
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

falltoms

I heard about the big fires in the pine ridge area. I have no problem hunting public land. I can get away from the crowds back East here. So im sure i can out there as well

TauntoHawk

Quote from: NC pine chicken on July 01, 2018, 02:43:26 PM
I have a Army buddy from rapid city SD. He said the Merrill's are plentiful and stupid easy to kill, especially after hunting easterns with me. Good luck

You holding out south Dakota access on me and James? You know how much I like to hunt states I haven't hunted before.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ShootingABN!

NC pine chicken

Quote from: TauntoHawk on July 01, 2018, 07:36:02 PM
Quote from: NC pine chicken on July 01, 2018, 02:43:26 PM

You holding out south Dakota access on me and James? You know how much I like to hunt states I haven't hunted before.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Definitely not. I thought we'd talked about him before.

LaLongbeard

Merriams are going to be easier than any Eastern especially if you've been hunting public land Easterns. The only person I've ever heard say a Merriams was as hard to hunt as Easterns was a guy that pretty much only hunted Merriams and wanted everyone to think he was a good  hunter lol.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Cove

You should have a fantastic time in the Black Hills. It's a destination every turkey hunter should visit at least once. I look forward to my next trip.

On another note, Black Hills Merriams can (and will) whip your tail as quick as any Eastern gobbler out there. What's more frustrating than a gobbler walking away from your calling? One walking away from your calling while gobbling 200 times. I just do not want you making the trip thinking Merriams are a walk in the park, while they sometimes can be, they can also be quite the opposite. Just have your wits ready to go to war and you'll be just fine. Tactics should be shifted a bit when it comes to Easterns vs Merriams. Good Luck!

SD_smith

I spent most of my life hunting osceolas in south florida and I will agree, now that I live in the Black Hills, that merriams are probably the dumbest species. Now take that with a grain of salt too! Because that dumb bird will have you 5 miles deep in the mountains walking away from you and gobbling the whole time. The only birds I've ever had get spooked and start gobbling, makes you think you're in the clear when in fact you are not. Easily the most exciting and action packed hunts I will ever have though because when they come in...THEY COME IN HOT!

The population in the Black Hills has been wayyyy down in some areas this past year and has trended that direction for some time now. Biologists are not exactly sure why, but its the same case north of the hills out in the prairie. I was able to fill both of my hills tags in a day, but that's because I knew where to find them. They are not hard to find on your first time out here, but take a day or so to scout and listen. If its early season stick near groups of houses out in the forest or around towns because they winter with people. As the season warms up they move higher up and farther away.

falltoms

Thanks for your replies.  I never go on a turkey hunt thinking its going to be easy.  But I do go with confidence. And I will go to the ends of the earth to kill one.

jryser

Quote from: falltoms on July 02, 2018, 08:18:50 PM
Thanks for your replies.  I never go on a turkey hunt thinking its going to be easy.  But I do go with confidence. And I will go to the ends of the earth to kill one.
Best descriptor on turkeys I've read.

Jstocks

Black Hills is on my to do list. Probably gonna go in 2020, as I've already got several hunts planned next year.

Publicland

Those hills are Beautiful & the turkey hunting is pretty good to boot! But in my experience out there the birds are in pockets you'll walk yourself to death to find em but if & when you find em you should be able to work it out! Don't put all your eggs in 1 basket, sometimes a hour move will take you from quite gobblers to very talkative gobblers! Having a positive mindset in that country is a plus! Can't wait till I return one of these days! Best of luck to ya.