OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Native wood pots

Started by shatcher, June 27, 2018, 08:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shatcher

Exotic woods are fine.  To each his own.  Let's talk about who makes the best pots from the trees growing in our turkey woods.  For example, poplar, cedar, walnut, persimmon, etc.  What are your favorites and made by whom?  I'll start with a Brad Roberts green slate in cedar and a Paul Hicks grey slate in persimmon.

Browning87

I agree with the cedar green slate from Brad. I'll add Paul Platz walnut glass/glass or glass/slate

Spitten and drummen

Brad , Paul Platz , Lon Trice and Lonnie mabrey
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

PEte_A

Dustin Jones makes a really nice walnut crystal/glass and glass/glass.

bobk

Mike Yingling makes  very nice calls with native woods.

va longbeard

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on June 27, 2018, 01:46:20 PM
Brad , Paul Platz , Lon Trice and Lonnie mabrey

I like that list and will add add Darrin Dawkins, have a couple of his walnut pot calls and one older oak pot I really like.

Eddie Wynne needs to be added also he gets a lot of props on here for his persimmon slate but his glass calls in domestic woods are great also.

I also like that Dustin Jones is on this list already he makes a great easy to run glass call I have one in Cherry and plan to get more of his calls thinking about a walnut crystal over glass.

I don't have any of Paul Hicks calls yet but have ordered three based on the sound files I have heard on this forum.

I don't have any from TJ Johnson either but with Bill Lyman and Steve Torman (West Augusta) giving his calls props on this forum and other forums I have ordered from him as well.

Mark Cornelius needs to be on here also I have ordered some calls from him as well and played a cherry glass over glass that a friend has that is a smoking good call.

Almost forgot Clint Corder I have a glass Osage from him that is incredible and a great osage slate from him as well forgot osage is domestically grown

shatcher

Appreciate the feedback.  Does anyone do anything in poplar any more?  I have a couple of older Cane Creek calls in poplar and I believe Lonnie Sneed's Outlaw Hen is in a poplar pot.

va longbeard

Quote from: shatcher on June 27, 2018, 06:14:17 PM
Appreciate the feedback.  Does anyone do anything in poplar any more?  I have a couple of older Cane Creek calls in poplar and I believe Lonnie Sneed's Outlaw Hen is in a poplar pot.
Brad Roberts is known for his glass poplar pots

JLH

John Sinclair makes plenty of domestic calls...

He has some absolutely stunning claro walnut he is unleashing next season.

Here's a sample....

shatcher

Beautiful.  I have one of his glass in a maple pot.  Great roll over yelp.

outdoors

That's some really nice claro walnut
What kind of a set up do you have in that call
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Spitten and drummen

Yep ,forgot Eddie Wynn and Darren Dawkins. I dont think Darren makes a wood pot anymore , just his acrylics.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

JLH

Quote from: outdoors on June 28, 2018, 01:00:29 AM
That's some really nice claro walnut
What kind of a set up do you have in that call
[/quote

That's a 3.5" green over glass....not my call.
As far as I know he's only made 2 in claro so far....I have a 3.25" claro green slate over glass.

And for the record, the 3.5" is better.]

va longbeard

Lets add footballer (Mark Cunningham) to this list.

I just got his sassafras slate over slate in the mail today and it is about as good as any grey slate I have ever run.

It is an outstanding call to say the least, great roll over and realistic tone!

Thanks Mark!

JonD.

I own four custom pots and all of them are made out of native woods. As far as I'm concerned, I've got four of the best sounding calls there are out there.(Well, I haven't got to run one of them yet, the Stumpy ceramic. It will be in the mail next week, and if it sounds like the sound file I listened to, then all four are killers) I bought all four after season was over, so I'm definitely going to have some fun trying them out on the turkeys.

Lonnie Sneed Outlaw Hen
Lonnie Sneed Hot Hen
Mike Yingling flamed ash copper
Chad Hutcheson sycamore ceramic

And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. Acts 16:30-31