OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Anyone else plant any food plots?

Started by KYHeadhunter02, June 25, 2018, 12:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KYHeadhunter02

I cleared off a small area behind my house to help improve hunting/wildlife in general. I got a late start for what I planted, although we have gotten a good amount of rain. I did run a hose to it to irrigate as needed. I ended up putting down a clover mix and alf alfa. I'll keep you guys updated on growth if your interested.

I sprayed to kill grass and weeds, and used my bobcat to clear off the area and turned the dirt over. Picked up as many sticks ect. I bought a spreader, lime and 10-10-10 fertilizer. I put down 50lbs of lime and about 20 lbs of fertilizer to get it going. I plan on doing a soil sample and putting down more fertilizer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

nitro

Nice. Clover is possibly one of the best food sources for turkeys.

On my SC place, we always plant clover. Chufas too, but they are work..  clover gets utilized all year.
Royal Slam 2008

jryser

+1 on clover as well as Autumn Quick Plot by Frigid Forage. Turkeys tore it UP last year!!

https://youtu.be/-4Ml-Utgmb4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Yep, I'm trying sunflower and chufa this year.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

wchadw

we always plant a mix for deer that has clover.  turkey come in the fields as much or more than the deer.  i am thinking about trying chufa next year.  hear it is like turkey crack..

they do love the clover and it grows well in both spring and fall

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: MISSISSIPPI Double beard on June 25, 2018, 04:06:00 PM
Yep, I'm trying sunflower and chufa this year.

Thats what me and a buddy plant on our lease in ms. We have a couple of white , crimson and arrow leaf clover plots also.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Gobbler428

Going down to NWTF in Edgefield on Thursday to pick up Chufa for our plots. Birds love it but cannot plant on tracks where you have hogs - they love it too and will destroy the chufa plot.

Fieldturkey

We planted about 12 acres of chufa this year. It's an unbelievable attractant.

KYHeadhunter02

Quote from: Gobbler428 on June 25, 2018, 05:44:04 PM
Going down to NWTF in Edgefield on Thursday to pick up Chufa for our plots. Birds love it but cannot plant on tracks where you have hogs - they love it too and will destroy the chufa plot.
Do they help with donations or anything since it helps the wildlife so much?

Theres A LOT of cedar trees on this farm. I really dont see how they could be beneficial other than bedding areas for animals. It is so thick though that you can barely walk through some of it.

Spitten and drummen

If its your property and its big enough , a control burn would help greatly.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

TauntoHawk

Yes this is my first year giving food plots a go so I'm trying lots of different blends and strategies see what works better then others and what the animals prefer. My test is on 60 acres that my uncle owns and my family has hunted for over 20yrs the deer and turkey numbers are relatively low and the habitat is poor so i think it'll be a good test to see what we can do habitat improvement wise. We select cut a few years ago, this year is several food plots next year we will hinge cut for bedding and increase food plot area. After I gain a little more experience I'll take it and apply it to 500 acres that I hunt in NY where the hunting is already good to great.

Here's some pictures of the plots going in and again at 2 weeks followed by 4 weeks from planting, I'm am pleased with the progress. I have several small fall plots to go in end of August.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

KYHeadhunter02

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on June 25, 2018, 08:45:54 PM
If its your property and its big enough , a control burn would help greatly.
It's not all mine. But something about fire and woods/grass scares me..lol. I guess I've always been scared it would get away from me and the fire department is 30 mins away.

KYHeadhunter02

Quote from: TauntoHawk on June 26, 2018, 09:24:55 AM
Yes this is my first year giving food plots a go so I'm trying lots of different blends and strategies see what works better then others and what the animals prefer. My test is on 60 acres that my uncle owns and my family has hunted for over 20yrs the deer and turkey numbers are relatively low and the habitat is poor so i think it'll be a good test to see what we can do habitat improvement wise. We select cut a few years ago, this year is several food plots next year we will hinge cut for bedding and increase food plot area. After I gain a little more experience I'll take it and apply it to 500 acres that I hunt in NY where the hunting is already good to great.

Here's some pictures of the plots going in and again at 2 weeks followed by 4 weeks from planting, I'm am pleased with the progress. I have several small fall plots to go in end of August.

Your plots look great! Thats a nice tractor to btw!

TauntoHawk

Quote from: KYHeadhunter02 on June 26, 2018, 10:53:39 AM
Quote from: TauntoHawk on June 26, 2018, 09:24:55 AM

Your plots look great! Thats a nice tractor to btw!

Thank you. The tractor is my father's he's always wanted one just never had quiet enough "work" around his place to justify one but when he started looking and drooling again I pushed him over the edge when I said I'd put food plots in with it for him. So far it's been enjoyable

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tail Feathers

TH, that is looking real good.  If you have cover, food and water, the deer will find your place.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!