OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What are some good CD's or DVD's for learning to call?  (Read 8212 times)

Offline Marc_Stokeld

What are some good CD's or DVD's for learning to call?
« on: June 19, 2018, 12:32:29 PM »
i am sorry if this has been asked before. i have done several searches and cannot find anything.

i am looking for instructional bits that teach how to call. i was tought the basic yelp and purr, but that is it. that is all the teacher knew.

how do  learn to better yealp and purr, but also work up to the next call, etc? hell,, i don't know for sure what you call all of the other calls!

i have been to the national show, plus many full "hunting" shows, where they have turkey calling contests. i have LESS THAN ZERO desire to call like they do. i just want to better be to work live birds. i'm bad about not shooting them when they come in. the better i can call, the more birds i can have come in and strut for me.

so any instructional material that you can steer me towards would be greatly appreciated!

Offline daddyduke

• Double Beard
Re: What are some good CD's or DVD's for learning to call?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 01:16:37 PM »
Here is a couple of my favorites.
Dale Outdoors on YouTube & Scott Ellis "Mouth call Magic DVD".
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Offline eddie234

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 01:54:02 PM »
Search YouTube. There are a bunch on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 02:31:16 PM »

i have been to the national show, plus many full "hunting" shows, where they have turkey calling contests. i have LESS THAN ZERO desire to call like they do. i just want to better be to work live birds.

Not sure why you wouldn't like to listen and learn from the best. "Most" of those guys(and gals) are great turkey hunters and their desire to be better callers, understanding turkey language, putting the right feeling into their calling all came from the love of turkey hunting and their desire to call in as many birds as possible.

Keep in mind, at a contest, the callers have to show off what they "can" do. When hunting, they only do what they have to do.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 04:12:57 PM »
These two have been very helpful to me, I intend to get the rest of the Real Turkey CD's as soon as I can.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline JonD.

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 05:21:22 PM »
i am sorry if this has been asked before. i have done several searches and cannot find anything.

i am looking for instructional bits that teach how to call. i was tought the basic yelp and purr, but that is it. that is all the teacher knew.

how do  learn to better yealp and purr, but also work up to the next call, etc? hell,, i don't know for sure what you call all of the other calls!

i have been to the national show, plus many full "hunting" shows, where they have turkey calling contests. i have LESS THAN ZERO desire to call like they do. i just want to better be to work live birds. i'm bad about not shooting them when they come in. the better i can call, the more birds i can have come in and strut for me.

so any instructional material that you can steer me towards would be greatly appreciated!

To start off, listen to every real turkey video or sound file you can find. I would start with the NWTF website. They have sound files of most of the sounds a turkey makes and explains what they use them for. There are a few others that do the same. Then find and watch all the real turkey sound videos you can find. One thing you have to watch out for on youtube is beware of the titles and descriptions as to what kind of calls the turkeys in the videos are making. I've seen a couple of times where the title will say it is so and so call, and it is really something different. One video I saw on there had a title that said something like "hen cutting and yelping" and the hen in the video was putting and about ready to run. When you watch these videos don't just listen to the overall sound, break each sound down. Just a few examples, listen to the pitch of the sound, how much of a note their is on the front of the sound, how long the front carries before breaking over into the raspy back end, how much rasp is in it, or how clear it is. Hens and jakes and toms make a lot of the same types of sounds, listen to the differences. Listen to the cadence or rythmn, count how many notes are called in each call etc. etc.  Then, I would search for videos of how to run the calls that you plan on using. Get the basics down and then have at it. Try to match the turkey sounds you've been listening to. Practice a little everyday until you can just pick up that call or calls and sound like turkeys. Just don't stop at that point, keep doing it all year until turkey season.
And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. Acts 16:30-31

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 05:32:58 PM »

To start off, listen to every real turkey video or sound file you can find. I would start with the NWTF website. They have sound files of most of the sounds a turkey makes and explains what they use them for. There are a few others that do the same. Then find and watch all the real turkey sound videos you can find. One thing you have to watch out for on youtube is beware of the titles and descriptions as to what kind of calls the turkeys in the videos are making. I've seen a couple of times where the title will say it is so and so call, and it is really something different. One video I saw on there had a title that said something like "hen cutting and yelping" and the hen in the video was putting and about ready to run. When you watch these videos don't just listen to the overall sound, break each sound down. Just a few examples, listen to the pitch of the sound, how much of a note their is on the front of the sound, how long the front carries before breaking over into the raspy back end, how much rasp is in it, or how clear it is. Hens and jakes and toms make a lot of the same types of sounds, listen to the differences. Listen to the cadence or rythmn, count how many notes are called in each call etc. etc.  Then, I would search for videos of how to run the calls that you plan on using. Get the basics down and then have at it. Try to match the turkey sounds you've been listening to. Practice a little everyday until you can just pick up that call or calls and sound like turkeys. Just don't stop at that point, keep doing it all year until turkey season.
Good advise for me as well, thanks.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline NCL

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 08:58:54 AM »
If you are working on the mouth call then a program called "Conquering The Call" can be a big help. CTC is a program you load on your computer and with the help of a microphone (supplied with the program) you get feed back on your calling. CTC breaks down each call and you practice each with instantaneous feedback. If you are working other calls then I would second You Tube. Lastly, listen to real birds if you are in a place to do so. I am very fortunate that I can go on my back deck and list to real birds throughout most of the year.

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 03:19:45 PM »
I wouldn’t worry about it; no one calls anymore; they just collect calls.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 09:24:52 AM »
Get on YouTube and take a look at the dozens of "how to" videos on calling turkeys,...and the hundreds of turkey hunting videos there.  What you will find is a confusing mess of information.  Especially with the hunting videos, you will quickly see that the number of variations of what hunters think is the "right" way to call is practically endless.  You will also see that almost anything will work under the right conditions.

The fact is that probably 95% of the turkeys that are killed each year are killed by hunters using some variation of the basic yelp,...and the yelp is also the one call turkeys make that will vary greatly depending on the turkey,...and the hunter's calling ability.  The bottom line is that you don't have to be a great turkey caller,...you just have to make sounds that the turkey you are calling to is impressed enough with that he/she will come.  In reality, those sounds can vary a lot. 

That's not to say that you can go out in the woods sounding like a barking squirrel and call turkeys (although I have seen some turkeys killed that I believe a barking squirrel call would have made them come running).  I am saying that you don't have to make things more complicated than they really need to be to fool one of them.

With the wide assortment of calling instruments available today, making realistic turkey sounds is the easy part,...again, if you don't complicate matters.  First of all, stick to the easy calls to learn to use,...box calls, pot calls, push button calls...and avoid the more difficult-to-learn calls like mouth calls and suction-type calls (wing-bones and "trumpet" calls). 

Learn to make basic yelps first,...soft, loud,...short, long,...subtle, aggressive.  Watch those videos and try to make calls within the range of that wide spectrum of calling that you will hear, especially that which seems to fall within some range of consistency.  Don't worry about trying to get "fancy" with your calling,...that is, throwing in odd-ball sounds that you might hear, especially from the upper-tier callers you will find on YouTube.  Those sounds are not needed,...and not knowing how to reproduce them correctly, or more importantly, using them at the wrong time, will do more harm than good when you are trying to call turkeys.

So, for the beginners learning to call,....stick with easy calls (that you think sound like turkeys) and learn the "yelp" in its various forms and range of tones, cadence, and volume,...and when to use each of those forms (that is the real hard part).  That's all you need to do,...and in the long run, you will likely kill more turkeys than you will trying to get all "fancy-dancy" with your calling. 

...If you are like many of us, you will graduate to the "fancy-dancy" stuff in due time.   :icon_thumright:

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 11:01:10 AM by GobbleNut »

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 04:32:57 PM »
I’ll agree w the Scott Ellis mouth call magic. If you get the Lovett real turkey CDs you can mimic some of the vocalizations there as well but for the mechanics the Ellis dvd

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 08:00:21 AM »
I’ll agree w the Scott Ellis mouth call magic. If you get the Lovett real turkey CDs you can mimic some of the vocalizations there as well but for the mechanics the Ellis dvd

Got to agree, Scott Ellis is all turkey.

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 08:12:24 AM »
The old Priomos mouth calling instructional helped me with mouth calls.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Here turkey turkey turkey

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2020, 01:19:26 AM »
Search YouTube. There are a bunch on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
To disarm the people...Is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, referencing advice given to the British Parliament by Pennsylvania governor Sir William Keith, The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adooption of the Federal Constitution, June 14, 1788

Offline Mossberg90MN

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2020, 02:20:12 AM »
Scott ellis dvds vol. 1&2

I also have a spittin feathers cd and tree top turkeys cd off amazon.

YouTubing hen talk works well too