OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Talk about down to the wire! !!  (Read 4736 times)

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
Talk about down to the wire! !!
« on: May 30, 2018, 08:56:47 PM »
Worked this guy for 2 1/2 hours this morning. Got to my spot at 0500 and he was already  gobbling on the roost at ever noise he heard.  It was THICK, so I was able to get to within about 65 yards or so and set up.  He flew down at 0520 and I mean STRAIGHT DOWN.  I've never seen a bird helicopter like that from the roost.  He hit the ground and immediately went into strutt, gobbling at every call I made and noise he heard.  I knew he was and 4 year old +.  I could see his spurs at 50 yards with no problem. He strutted back andnds forth for about 30 minutes until I heard hens calling to my left. I peeked around and saw 2 hens running right to him. Three more flew down cackling from where he was roosted and all I could do from then on was wait and hope the girls brought him to me.  He immediately bred the first hen that landed and about 15 minutes later bred another and then another and would then strutt and gobble.   It was quite the show!  My left was the only route they could go where I had no shot and wouldn't you know it, after about an hour of feeding and chasing each other they meandered to my left, out into a field that a cannot hunt.  I knew the game was over so I made plans to come back and catch him this evening. 

I was set up by 630 where I figured he'd want to go and waited.  I was just texting my buddy Roy about how long it'd been since I'd hunted in 87° temp and had just set my phone down when I looked up and saw a fan coming at 60 yards.  He had 2 hens with him and was still trying to get them to dance as they fed to roost. At 725 one hen flew up to my left cackling loudly.  I clucked and yelled softly and he turned and headed right to my gun.  At 25 yards he stopped in between two trees and the little monster ate his lunch!  25 POUNDS, 2 ounces, 1 3/8" HOOKS, and a 9 1/4" paintbrush.   Talk about a highlight to an otherwise frustrating season!  Pics to follow shortly.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 10:32:32 PM by mightyjoeyoung »
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Talk about down to the wire! !!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 10:22:04 PM »
Atta boy. Way to stick with it. What a toad. More and more I see PA hunters killing some real dandies around Memorial Day. 

Not to steal your thunder but my buddy shot one with 1-1/2 spurs this morning.  He had been hunting this bird all season and just like that he leaves his hens and comes strolling in to his call today. And I whiffed on one this morning that we’ve hunted several times as well. He did the same thing. Just walked away from 3 hens. Go figure. And the real cool thing about this time of the season is that there is nobody in the woods. They’ve either filled a tag or have given up. 

And with the longer days, like you said, gobbling starts at 5:00 AM. Plenty of time to work a bird and still make it to work. Just gotta take a power nap at some point, eh? 

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 11:18:53 PM »

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 06:56:28 AM »
Man that’s awesome. Heck of a bird, congrats!!!! 

Have you measured those hooks with a soft tape to get the curve of the spur in on the measurement?

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 07:22:24 AM »

Have you measured those hooks with a soft tape to get the curve of the spur in on the measurement?

1 3/8" with the curve. Thought they'd be longer, but I'm not complaining!

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 01:08:28 PM »
Great bird! Congrats

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Offline Sand Man

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 01:56:27 PM »
Very nice!   :you_rock:

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 07:54:54 PM »

1 3/8" with the curve. Thought they'd be longer, but I'm not complaining!

Heck no I wouldn’t be either.  That’s a legit set of hooks.

Offline Roost 1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 08:45:41 PM »
Congrats on a fine bird.  Persistence pays off.

Offline BOFF

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 10:49:11 PM »
WOOHOO!

What a great day!

Congrats on sticking with it and finishing it well!

God Bless,
David B.

Offline paintbrush

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 07:41:28 AM »
That is one heck of a nice bird. Congrats!!

Offline cramerhunts

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2018, 04:42:41 PM »
Whooohooo! Congratulations on a brute of a bird. Awesome job.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 10:16:35 PM »
Congrats on the awesome bird

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 05:33:53 PM »
Just got back in town from a weeklong wilderness fishing trip in Boundary Waters Canoe Area in northern Minnesota. Had a great time.

So what's going on guys, kinda quiet? I don't guess anyone has been doin...SPPPPPFFFTTTTTTTttttttt! What in the clear blue yonder IS THAT THING!!?? MJY, you have deprived an entire generation of young poults of a meaningful relationship with their greatgrandfather! I assume that he offered no rebuttal when that 20 served papers on him.

The Roaring 20s are still getting it done. I will certainly updated the running tally later this afternoon.

Cheers  :icon_thumright: ;D

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.