OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fall hunting

Started by High plains drifter, May 28, 2018, 12:57:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

High plains drifter

Anybody do a lot of fall turkey hunting?What is the method?Will they come to a call? I have gotten some, but I'd like to learn more.

fallhnt

I use decoys and call them up in the Fall ,just as I do in Spring. Works well for longbeards or hen flocks. The decoys are set for the birds I'm hunting and they are called into bow range.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Hook hanger

Never used a decoy in the fall. Have called them in, busted up the flock then called them back, and patterned them and made sure I was where they were headed.

va wingbone

I have turkey dogs, makes finding a flock to scatter much easier. I've killed birds by blind calling but it's hit or miss without locating a flock. If you're able to scatter a flock your chances of getting a bird to respond goes up ten fold
"around here, turkey hunting is more like a religion than a pastime.getting close to nature, getting back to where we most belong is something we hold sacred.when we do get to take one home, we do so with reverence"

JK Spurs

Quote from: Hook hanger on May 28, 2018, 09:37:50 AM
Never used a decoy in the fall. Have called them in, busted up the flock then called them back, and patterned them and made sure I was where they were headed.
This...
I like my turkey well peppered

JonD.

Quote from: fallhnt on May 28, 2018, 01:57:25 AM
I use decoys and call them up in the Fall ,just as I do in Spring. Works well for longbeards or hen flocks. The decoys are set for the birds I'm hunting and they are called into bow range.

I've wondered about this, but I've never hunted turkey in the fall. I'm always in full swing deer mode then. I hunt both on the same property and see and hear turkeys while deer hunting. Many mornings they are roosted right above me in my stand when its gets light. More than once I've tried to draw my bow on one while in the stand after they flew down just to see if I could get a shot--nope. A time or two during crossbow season I tried to take a shot at a gobbler but they saw me. They are very vocal in the fall early morning. I think I'll try it this year and take a few days off from deer.
And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. Acts 16:30-31

JonD.

Quote from: fallhnt on May 28, 2018, 01:57:25 AM

Just guessing, if your after gobblers in the fall, do you mostly use gobbler yelps, and maybe an occasional gobble call?
And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. Acts 16:30-31

fallhnt

Gobbler yelps,kee kee run and gobbling. Last couple years the gobbler yelp has brought 'em in no problem.

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Hook hanger

All depends on the birds but yes gobbler yelps and gobbling if there is hens mixed in with the gobblers.

JonD.

Thanks guys. Fallhnt, great job! I'm going to try taking one with a bow some of these days. I'd really love to take one with a self bow and river cane arrows I made myself, but that will definitely be "some of these days". I've been working on my second bow for oh, two and a half years now. I got it to the tillering stage and quit working on it. Gathered up some cane about the same time, and still haven't made any arrows. I did straighten a few but that's about it. The first bow I made turned out  really well, but was low in poundage about 35lbs at 32" draw. Thinking about fall hunting may get me motivated again.

quavers59

Looking forward already to Fall in New York and New Jersey. I only have 2 weeks in NY and 1 week in NJ. So, I target Jake's instead of Gobblers. Opening g mornings, I flush them from the trees and wait until they start calling I. 30 minutes. Alot of fun if you are out there!

eggshell

you will learn more about turkey vocalizations in one fall then in 5 years of spring hunting. They are creatures of habit in the fall, so learn where they are headed to feed. Food dictates most of their day. I hunt gobblers mostly and use long series of gobbler yelps and kee kee runs with some clucks thrown in. If you bust a flock of mature gobblers you have a long wait on your hands....generally they don't regroup for at least an hour and usually 2-3 hrs. I preferr to call them as a group or individual. They often just cluck back and show up unannounced. If I know there is a gobbler group near I set up for 30-45 minutes set ups and move on. Now super jakes and hen poult groups make more racket than a bunch of teenage girls. Not many people fall hunt my area and you usually have your pick of spots. I like it every but as much as spring. Our fall season is 6 weeks long. I also hunt Ky in the fall. Go for it you'll have a lot of fun. Also, breaking flocks is a blast as you will have birds from all directions calling, but a man by himself has very little chance of getting a proper bust.