OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 2018 Winding down  (Read 2944 times)

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
2018 Winding down
« on: May 27, 2018, 04:30:50 PM »
Gentlemen,

We are now in the final few days of the 2018 Old Gobbler Turkey Hunting Contest. The gates for entries usually close on June 1st. As of today, our team score of 556.9 puts us in 4th place in the standings behind Gods of Thunder with a staggering score of 613.4, Crusaders with 604.3 and Purrpetrators with 574.2. The one beautiful point about this years contest is that it appears to have been without the pall of controversy and allegations of cheating as in previous years. The team captains have all maintained a clean contest, concentrating on the merits of their team harvests and good sportsmanship. These are the core values that we should all aspire to in the spring woods.

I congratulate every one of you on a great season, even if you (me included) came up empty handed.  There have been some stellar scores put up by some of our members and I would like to highlight them, trying to not embarrass them in doing so. The three Roaring 20's master hunters this year are JakesDad, 3Seasons and HarleyTom. JakesDad put two fat rascals on the scoreboard with one topping out at 69.83. 3Seasons hung 4 on their hooks and got us started early with a Rio from Hawaii, the 20's first bird ever scored from the islands. He then came home took a nap and kept right on with his serial killing on his home turf with one Mississippi Blues Singer that scored a beautiful 67.685. HarleyTom was able to close out his Grand Slam this year and dropped the 20 gauge hammer on a new personal record corn-fed country boy from Nebraska that taped in at 71.575!

This team continues to be the paragon of hunting ethics that stand as a shining example of how hunters can ethically conduct themselves and commit to a fair chase in the woods when no one is watching and still come strolling back to the truck with a clear conscious and a monster gobbler hanging heavy over their shoulder. I am proud to be a member of The Roaring 20's and to be called your Captain.

Guys, what do you say we meet up here again next year and do this again? Be safe and I will see you gentlemen in a few months.

Humbly.

Norman  aka FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: 2018 Winding down
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 07:08:38 PM »
10-4. By the way, still hunting this week. Got my wife one last week and my son Saturday. My turn tomorrow.

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

Offline jakesdad

• Longbeard
  • NE Missouri
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 10:10:13 PM »
Not sure "master hunter" is appropriate but thanks anyway. As always it's been fun to do this with a great bunch of guys. Thanks to Fullchoke for being our captain once again.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 02:04:45 AM »
I enjoyed this years comp for sure. Hate I couldn’t help our score out more but I did manage to score a bird in Wisconsin that was 19lbs 9.5” beard and 1 1/16” spurs. Minnesota’s thick woods and a smart old bird bested me this year but if Work hadn’t beckoned me I had his number, next year my friend next year.   

I was very blessed this year and I hope all of y’all had great seasons as well. I was able to take 5 birds and got to watch 4 more hit the ground.

Thanks for the shout out Fullchoke, I’m far from being a master hunter but I appreciate the jesture. Already looking forward to next next year if you’ll have me on the team. 

And also a big thanks to you for all you do for this team!!

Online harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 05:31:20 PM »
Thanks for the kind words Norman, but my success was more a result of this being the year that the sun shown on this old dog's rear (to paraphrase the old saying). It was my most enjoyable year mainly due to the fact of getting to share in the success of my son and grandson taking their first birds. Already got a lead on some new property for next season, the beat goes on gentlemen, I'm just trying to keep up.

Offline cramerhunts

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 07:28:43 PM »
It was an honor and pleasure to be able to be a part of this great team once again. My contribution was meager this year but I still had a great time and a huge congratulations to everyone! I look forward to getting together again next year and go into battle with all you fine contestants.

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 07:42:44 PM »
Whiffed on one today. Not sure why. Steady rest. Bird standing still. Tomorrow is our last day but I have commitments that are getting the way. Think I’m done. 11 months until opening day.....

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 12:14:01 AM »
Add 71.125 points to the tally today Norman!  Got it done in the 11th hour today on a STUD of a bird that I don't think has ever been hunted.  Pics, as bad  they are because I had to take most of them myself are up in the dearly departed thread.  Could have shot jakes. Could have taken shortcuts. Could have given up. That's just not me.  I decided at the start of this season I was not going ro settle or take the easy route.  I like to think my mindset paid dividends...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.