turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Doughnut shaped pattern

Started by Claybirdd, May 25, 2018, 07:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claybirdd

As some of you may know. I recently bought a a Carlson's long beard choke. When I was testing it I noticed all of my patterns had a few gaps in them but consistently had a large gap right in the center. I tried tweaking with the choke and ended up ruining it.
    Well I recently bought a new Carlson's long beard choke, and then having the exact same issue. It's almost like a donut shaped pattern. Is this an indication of to tight a choke and the beginnings of a blown pattern.
    Have been using number 4 and number 5 shot but have not tried six.

spaightlabs

What gun and more importantly, what shells?

Gooserbat

Sounds like you are over choking.  I don't know what shells but if it's lead I'd try no 6.  I've killed a lot and I mean a lot of toms with no 6 lead.  No 6 hevi is also my pick with hevi shot. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Claybirdd

Gun is a 28" 870 express
  Shooting longbeard #4 and #5 both High Velocity and Magnum.  As a side note magnum produces the better pattern with both shells and #5 magnum the best so far, yet unacceptable with a 2-3 inch hole in the middle.
  Next time I'm out I'll pick up some #6's

captpete

I get better patterns with a .665 choke than I do a .660 choke in my 870 Super Mag using old style Jellyhead choke tubes(or other brand chokes for that matter). Shell brand doesn't really matter, I just get a better pattern with the .665...5's better than 4's or 6's.  For me the Longbeard shells are to tight....softball size pattern at 15yd. with the .665 choke. I tried a Carlson .670 non-ported and it opened the 15yd pattern to about a volley ball size pattern....3" - 1 3/4oz. shells, didn't try the magnum loads or 3 1/2" shells. The 40yd opened up also, but it is better than what I was getting with the .665 and non Longbeard shells.

yelpy

I never saw a pattern with  big hole in the center. That's a bit odd I think.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

Tracker12

If you have a tendency to miss right or left high or low it may be the perfect choke lol

Turkeyhunter

I had a son of a friend have that issue. He bought a full choke and it made a nice pattern to the left and right of the turkey head on the target. He then purchased an extra full choke and tightened up the group real nice. It was a 20 gauge but don't know what model gun it was.