OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which Choke?

Started by va wingbone, May 24, 2018, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

va wingbone

I just sent my 1100 magnum barrel off to get shortened and threaded. I'm going to order some TSS from Hal, the barrel will be threaded to accept true choke threads so I will have to purchase new chokes, this will be my first dealings with tss, I plan to shoot 9s. Should I get a .665 Indian Creek( had great success in the past with IC and hevi shot) or a Carlson? If I go with the Carlson, which restriction for TSS 9?
Thanks,
Kevin
"around here, turkey hunting is more like a religion than a pastime.getting close to nature, getting back to where we most belong is something we hold sacred.when we do get to take one home, we do so with reverence"

taylorjones20

It's hard to beat the IC .665
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Gooserbat

I shoot a .665 Jebbs and handload #9 tss.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Fullfan

I have shot both my hand loads, Apex and Federal TSS. Indian Creek is the way to go.
Don't gobble at me...

Spitten and drummen

Honestly from what I have experienced , TSS seems to not be picky about chokes. Be careful chasing numbers because it is easy to get a very very hot 10 core at 40 and makes missing a lot easier. I have had better luck with a little more open choke. I have buddies that shoot modified chokes and getting a very even 10 and 20 that is phenominal on turkeys.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

wchadw

Quote from: Gooserbat on May 25, 2018, 01:46:45 AM
I shoot a .665 Jebbs and handload #9 tss.
I am shooting a jebs 655 with federal #9 and it patterns well and the combo dropped one one shot at right at 40 this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on May 25, 2018, 08:49:26 AM
Honestly from what I have experienced , TSS seems to not be picky about chokes. Be careful chasing numbers because it is easy to get a very very hot 10 core at 40 and makes missing a lot easier. I have had better luck with a little more open choke. I have buddies that shoot modified chokes and getting a very even 10 and 20 that is phenominal on turkeys.

My grandfather runs a flush modified in his Mossberg 500 20 gauge with 1-5/8 ounce 9.5's and it runs at or slightly over 300 consistently.

Gobble!

Indian Creek chokes and Hals loads are like peanut butter and jelly.

I use a .675 Indian Creek and Hals 2.5oz load.

J-Shaped

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on May 25, 2018, 08:49:26 AM

This. This is the route I went. It gives me a much more forgiving pattern while still performing well down range.

High plains drifter

I use an extra full rem choke.1 7/8 oz . Fed. Premium, copper plated.rem 870 super mag, camo,26 inch.3 inch BB's

Turkeyhunter

I use the HS Strut Undertaker choke in my Mossberg 835 with Remington Nitro's #6 and very deadly out to 35 yards. Will shoot at 40 but opens up a bit. I like being down and dirty with them up close!