OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

DIY Hunt 2019

Started by codym, May 24, 2018, 05:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codym

Hey guys. I don't want to blow up anyones spot or state as I know how that feels but I'm hoping to get a few suggestions. Looking to do an out of state public land hunt next season with my wife. Species doesn't matter would just like to hunt somewhere with decent access and good bird numbers. By access I mean acreage, we will hike or walk as far as we need to especially to get away from other hunters. I was thinking the Dakotas or possibly Nebraska but after seeing the most recent Newberg video I would bet Nebraska will be a zoo next year. Also considered Kansas. Would like to stay within a couple days drive of NM. Please feel free to PM me. Thanks guys!

spaightlabs

Oklahoma.  You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a turkey in Oklahoma. 

Spurs Up

Quote from: spaightlabs on May 24, 2018, 06:22:48 PM

I'm thinking about Oklahoma myself...

Never considered a cat. I generally just take a shotgun. Can you recommend a particular breed???

codym

I've hunted western oklahoma with an outfitter and it was a good time. I hadn't really considered checking out the public land there. I'm assuming it's mostly WIHA? Are they generally big enough to get away from others? I will start my research.

Gooserbat

Western Oklahoma can be great. It can be awful to.  I've hunted it my entire life.  I'm not a Black Kettle fan as I don't like the crowds but the number of birds is impressive.  Either be there the last week or two days before season to do some scouting.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Improvinghunter101

I've done NW Nebraska and Oklahoma. Not sure if I'll ever go back to either spot. Chaos is the only way to describe Oklahoma. Campers and tents everywhere. People jumping out of trucks and shooting turkeys from the road. Letting other hunters know you had turkeys respond and coming your way and them acknowledging and just walking past you anyways. Never could get away from the crowd.  I went there the first week of 2017. Went to NW Nebraska the second week of May 2018. NW Nebraska always gets pressure from what I was told by a biologist. Doesn't matter who makes a video of it.  Birds will roost early and be silent. And sometimes they won't even gobble on the roost.  Plus you figure with Nebraska's bow season opening in late March, the bow hunters have hit it for three weeks prior to shotgun season. And there's guys there every day until you get there. I tried getting way out on the fringes of both places to find birds that weren't terrorized but didn't have any luck. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, just giving you my experience in both spots which has been abysmal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMalin

There are other areas in Nebraska to hunt.  Coming from New Mexico with true Merriam's in their native range, I'd look at the chunk of Nebraska national forest land more toward the middle of the state.  Most of the lakes in the state have public land access as well.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: spaightlabs on May 24, 2018, 06:22:48 PM
I'm doing OK in 2020 myself, has a new subspecies for me in Rio's and I have family there. Hear the county I am looking at is good as well so can't wait.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

codym

Quote from: JMalin on May 25, 2018, 01:22:42 PM
There are other areas in Nebraska to hunt.  Coming from New Mexico with true Merriam's in their native range, I'd look at the chunk of Nebraska national forest land more toward the middle of the state.  Most of the lakes in the state have public land access as well.

This is why I could care less about sub species, Ive killed plenty of pure Merriam's and Rios. If there was one sub species that I would like over the others is an eastern. I just want to go somewhere we can hike in 3-4 miles and find some birds without having to fight other hunters. It may not exist....

TauntoHawk

For eastern and no crowds and gorgeous timber, Catskills NY

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>