OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wall mounts

Started by 357MAGNOLE, May 24, 2018, 09:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

I got my first Tom a couple weeks back, cleaned and preserved the fan/beard.  I got all the meat/fats off the base of the fan that I could and let that part sit covered in borax for the past couple weeks. It's dried out and holding shape perfectly now. It looks great!

I ordered one of these wall mounts, being my first bird and all naturally I wanted to preserve it and hang it in my "man cave".

https://www.amazon.com/Taxidermists-Woodshop-Carved-Turkey-Mounting/dp/B06Y5TSH7K/ref=sr_1_2_sspa/131-0063898-2194734?ie=UTF8&qid=1527170118&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=turkey+mounting+kit+cedar&psc=1

How do these mounts work? Any certain precautions y'all would recommend? You only get your first Tom once and I don't want to ruin the mount.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

cwb04

I have mine in a homemade mount that will hold 7 beards.  If that one is anything like mine it's pretty fool proof.  My fan just sits in mine - no attachment.  Actually folded up a couple of paper towels and stuck them behind the fan to make it sit right.  Not sure how your beard will attach to that mount - my beards hang underneath using the smallest binder clip they make.

I made mine where none of the beards or fans are attached permanently, so you can't really mess anything up.

JMalin

I think there is a separate piece that will screw into the back of the main plaque.  Your fan will be sandwiched between the two.  Beard will go into the slot and can be hot glued in place.

Jeremy66

I just used this mount on my first turkey a few days ago.  After they fan is dried out I covered the ends of the quills with bondo on both sides.  Then slide the fan in wire bracket on the back.  I drilled a small hole through the bondo and used a screw to keep the fan from moving.

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: Jeremy66 on May 24, 2018, 10:14:05 AM
I just used this mount on my first turkey a few days ago.  After they fan is dried out I covered the ends of the quills with bondo on both sides.  Then slide the fan in wire bracket on the back.  I drilled a small hole through the bondo and used a screw to keep the fan from moving.

I was hoping someone here would have used this mount, I see you went the bondo route I am going to use a two part epoxy.  I am wanting the mount to be permanent, so ill probably add a little epoxy into the mount once its in place to hold it still.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Bowguy

Just so you're aware, borax will dry preserve your piece but not bugproof it. Dry preservative is inexpensive and includes moth/bug proofers.
If the area you plan to put it is not climate controlled it may have a problem.
Also turkey or any bird fat is full of grease. I'd remove all scraps of meat/fat from quill bases and between quills.
Than I'd wash it in Dawn soap, rinse in clean water and pat it down w a towel, either tumble it in media than blow dry or just blow dry it moving the head of dryer around to whip up feathers
Any grease that got on feathers will come off and the bird's tail will have a great sheen.
It's too late now so it's only info for the next one. Won't be as bad in a controlled area

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: Bowguy on May 24, 2018, 12:53:09 PM
Just so you're aware, borax will dry preserve your piece but not bugproof it. Dry preservative is inexpensive and includes moth/bug proofers.
If the area you plan to put it is not climate controlled it may have a problem.
Also turkey or any bird fat is full of grease. I'd remove all scraps of meat/fat from quill bases and between quills.
Than I'd wash it in Dawn soap, rinse in clean water and pat it down w a towel, either tumble it in media than blow dry or just blow dry it moving the head of dryer around to whip up feathers
Any grease that got on feathers will come off and the bird's tail will have a great sheen.
It's too late now so it's only info for the next one. Won't be as bad in a controlled area
This is pretty much what I did minus the soap and using the hair dryer. I did clean and scrape all the meat out of the quills as good as I could without running risk of damaging any of the quills.  Whats left is going to be covered in a 2 part epoxy to keep it safely secured and hopefully keep any bugs out.  Its going to be hung up in the house, in a room with climate control. So hopefully no issues in the long run. I am going to try the hair dryer though after mounting to spruce it up a little.

Bowguy

Once it dries if you don't rewear it it's gonna stay if most grease is out. Just an FYI a wire brush(tiny one, tooth brush sized) can help w cleaning between quills. Also bondo may be easier and cleaner than epoxy.
Only offering help to ya