OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I kilt me a Va Rhododendron turkey :)

Started by turkey_slayer, April 23, 2011, 03:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey_slayer

Alarm went off and I kept hitting the snooze.  After the third time I finally drugged my butt out of bed.  Was suppose to met up with a buddy last night to go to a farm he has about an hour and half up the road but never heard from.  So I sat their contemplating where to go as my usual hot spots have been really quiet with just a few roost gobbles if that.

My Uncle and me hunted a place 3 years ago that had quite a few birds but even more hunters.  I decided to try that spot.  I parked and walked about 30 minutes up a ridge where it tops out then it dips back down and starts up the big mountain.  From here I can hear any bird thats in hearing distance.  The fog was as thick as pea soup so figured it would be later than normal if they gobbled (didnt know if the birds still used the area).  At 6:33 one broke loose.  Game on. NOT!  I heard 5 different people hooting at that bird from all sides so for safety sake I left.

Went a couple of miles down the road and didnt see a soul.  I usually bowhunt this spot in the early season to fill my doe tags so I knew this spot fairly well.  It was 7:45 when I topped out.  I received a text message from cousin saying he killed one.  I was happy as could be as that was his first bird by his self.  I told him not to get the big head as I was going to out do him this morning lol.  The fog was still thick.  I sat down and looked in the hollow to my right and there was a hen and 2 jakes about 50 yards away.  I watched them for a long time scratch through the leaves.  They got within 14 yards at one point and I was getting an itchy finger  ;D but passed.

Once the fog lifted, I had one gobble in the hollow on the other side.  I thought thats weird cause its just a big bowl with nothing but mountain laurel.  I called and he answered me back so I went to meet him in the laurel  ;D  I only called twice more and he answered me both times but hadnt moved.  A few minutes had passed and I was trying to figure out how to move on that bird since the ridge behind him was a little more open. 

I was there maybe 10 minutes still thinking about it when I heard ssppp vrooommm.  I strained my eyes and finally seen the rascals tail go behind a tree about 30 yards away.  He had snuck in on me.  I moved my gun barrel to where I thought he was going to come out.  I told myself another 5 steps and Im going to decapitate you lol.  He stopped just a little short and was getting nervous.  He started back the way he came but at an angle.  There was a softball size spot to shoot through and it just so happened he stopped there showing me his waddles. 

I squeezed the trigger and he dropped!  But oh no, hes rolling off the ridge.  I grabbed my calls and put the gun on safety and the foot chase started.  After about 150 yards I finally caught up with him.  It always amazes me  with all the brush and trees they can roll so far like that.  Just a 2 year old but a very interesting morning!  9" beard, 19 lbs 5 oz and 3/4" spur with the other one only about a 1/4" and shaped like a saunders field point.  The bigger one was black and the other was white?  Took me an hour to get back to the truck by the time I fought my way out of the jungle but it was worth it!  Heres a pic. I know its bad but I was by myself and I sat the camera on a laurel bush, hit the timer, then ran back and grabbed the bird thats why its out of focus lol.

new2turkey

JVA54

Hognutz

Very nice. Great story, great bird..Well done..Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

trkycaller

mossy835

Nice bird, I would take an out of focus bird any day and great story.

Ol'Mossy

OLE RASPY

cannonball

WyoHunter

Congrats on a nice gobbler and a good read too!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

njdevilsb

moonman

Keep your nose in the wind,your eyes on the skyline.