turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Decoy Users

Started by GOOSESLAYER, May 23, 2018, 11:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOOSESLAYER

Personally I hunt more without them then I do with them. My question is when its late in the season what do you tend to run.

And also has anyone just ran a Jake deek?

Dealing with a stubborn but fun bird, and have not been using a decoy since I know their coming to the field. He's with 2 hens and a jake. Wondering if just a jake would piss him off. Thinking if him and his jake friend see him the might want to gang up on it

Plan on going no deeks again for the first couple hours of the morn, then putting just a jake out later in the morn if first few hours don't pan out

GOOSESLAYER

NO ONES USED JUST A JAKE DEEK?

wisconsinteacher

I'm going to try just a jake tomorrow morning.  I saw 2 toms and a jake together this morning in a field just eating no strutting. 

spaightlabs

I ran just a jake twice earlier in the year and it scared the hell out of the birds on the farm I was on both times. They'd come in spitting and drumming and as soon as they saw the jake they'd get lockjaw and steer way clear of him and head to the other end of the property.  happened with 3 decent toms.

Near as I can figure there must be a band of thug jakes that has been opening a can of whoop  on single toms in the area...

Switched to a hen and jake after that and the tom I shot was nice, but still afraid of the jake, but because of the hen he was willing to hang out and do his thing at about 20 yards for awhile instead of just bolting.

YMMV.

JonD.

To be honest I don't have much luck with decoys later in the season. Especially if the birds have been hunted hard.

I've used just a lone jake several times in late season. I only remember one time when I know turkeys saw him, two long-beards together about 100 yards out walking like they knew exactly where they were going, and they just looked at him without stopping and kept on their way. I had gobble called one time about 30 mins. or so prior. I waited a little while and moved closer to where I thought the birds were going and tried calling to them(no decoy), but never saw them again. I've had birds do a strutter the same way in late season. Both times I'm pretty sure breeding was over but they hadn't got grouped back up yet.

And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. Acts 16:30-31

GOOSESLAYER

Im hunting private ground with sole permission. This LB, jake and 2 hens have been together for the whole season

JonD.

Sounds like you have a plan then. If it were me, I would put a hen with the jake decoy. If you are going to be calling like a hen have a "hen" out that and maybe ole long spurs will want to whoop on the jake taking his lady.
And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. Acts 16:30-31

VaTurkeyBoy

The two birds I killed this year I had both a Jake and two hen decoys out and the birds made bee lines to the Jake and were ready to kick his butt. That being said, I have had a Jake decoy out in the past and had birds hang up and not come in. My opinion is that it just depends on the bird and whether he has had his butt kicked before or he wants to do the butt kicking. Like I've said, the decoy has worked positively and negatively, depends on the bird.

JonD.

Also too, with a hen decoy with the jake, the two hens that are with the LB won't like the intruder calling to their man and may try to come in and fight with her bringing ole tom in with them. I would think sooner or later those hens will have to leave him to go to nest and then he would be lonely.

Aurora Wild

I would put a hen out with the jake.  That was my set up today. I had a hen fixate on my hen decoy and drag a gobbler in to his demise.  Probably wouldn't have worked out that way with just a Jake. I'd put them right where they usually enter the field and set up nearby.  Sounds like roast turkey!

RutnNStrutn

I try and mimic what nature does. Late season I usually see solo hens. So normally I just go with one hen deke.
Late season a lot of satellite Toms will have had their butts kicked, and will shy away from male dekes, even Jake dekes. So from mid-season on, the male dekes stay at home.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

GOOSESLAYER

Im the same way if I run a deek late most of the time its just a hen. but these birds this year are weird and are still a little flocked up. Anytime the hens have seen the deek they run the opposite way. They get sparked up from my calling and we go back and forth. but eventually they work their way off. instead of coming to check out the intruder.

NCL

I had either two or three hens with a jake all season. The third week of the season I had three hens out with the jake and a gobbler came into the set up, he gobbled once at the jake and then turned and started to walk away parallel to the set up. I do not believe he would have committed without the decoys. I told a buddy about the spot and  few days later he had multiple gobblers come in to a single hen. He killed one with a 10 beard.

TRG3

Not many turkey hunters go after gobblers using my technique. In the Southern Illinois 5th season, which is the last one and generally runs the first week of May, I rely heavily on my Primos Gobbler tube as a challenge to the established peck order of the area. By this point in the season, few hens are still coming to the toms but the tom, at fly down, still go to his favorite spot and gobbles, hoping to attract any still active hens. While he hears my gobble tube responding to his gobbles, he may sound off from that same spot for four hours, just like happened this year, before he's had enough and comes in to check out the "intruder" turkey trespassing in his territory. To sweeten things up, I'll throw in a few hen yelps every 20-30 minutes or so, giving the indication that not only is there a strange gobbler in his territory but that strange gobbler has attracted a hen while the real gobbler has not. This give the real gobbler two reasons to check out the situation. This year, after four hours of infrequent gobbling/yelping, he came in on a dead run and immediately went nose-to-nose with my Funky Chicken, catching a load of #5 shot from 25 yards. A couple of years ago, I used my full strut Pretty Boy in a very similar situation to take a 25# bird with my black powder hammer shotgun at 20 yards after two hours of waiting with infrequent gobbling/yelping.  My experience, for what it's worth, is that the bigger birds are taken during the very late season when they are king of the mountain, having whipped all other comers, and have had hens come to them all season. But now, it's late in the breeding season, and it's almost like they have to swallow some pride in order to break down and go to a hen which is not coming to them, which can take a few hours of waiting on the hunter's part, as the gobbler tries in vain to convince the "new" hen to leave the "intruder" gobbler and come to him. In my experience, when the real gobbler finally decides to come in, he will gobble at least once while on the way, letting you know to get ready. From that point on, he will come in silently, on the run, and with an attitude of "do you know who I am?" I love the 5th season!

TRG3

I forgot to add that I use a hen in the breeding position directly in front of my male decoy, setting up in an open agriculture field so that everything is easily seen from several directions.