turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Slobber Gobbling Monarch- Tagged out !

Started by econo, April 23, 2011, 02:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

econo

Well my morning started before sun up on my property. Again the fog was thick and drizzle. About 6:15 a gobbler fires up a long ways off. He was the only 1 I heard. So off I go, crossed over 2 steep ridges to get to him. Glad it was foggy because it took me 45 minutes to get there. He gobbled on his own the whole time. I got to about 100 yards and he was just hammering away on the ground. I scratched off some yelps and cluck's and this bird gobbled 7 or 8 times straight, it was like one long strung out gobble, he had to have been slobbering all over himself. Each time I would call and he would gobble like this. Hardest gobbling turkey I have ever heard. Well he came to within 50 yards, but just wouldn't show himself over the ridge top. This went on about 20 minutes then he walked off. After I knew he was safetly out of sight, I got up on top of ridge, called and he did that crazy gobbling again, but kept going out the ridge. I circled him and set up for the 3rd time. Called and he gobbled non stop and kept getting closer. Then I see him strutting right in. He reached about 30 yards and when he was inbetween about the fith and six gobble of that long strung out gobble. I sent him a load of hevi shot. This has been a good year for me and beards. Last weeks beard was the thickest I have taken, and this mornings was the longest. It was 11 1/2" long with a few strands over 12". Spurs were both 7/8". Weight was 21 and 1/2 pounds. Total I beleive I walked what seems like 7 or 8 miles all up and down steep ground.

This 1st pic is my land and the mountain where I took the bird. This is on the back side, as you can see the fog was still there when I took the pic this morning when I was leaving.

May God bless you all

Trevor2

Strutstopper

tnturkeyman28

Big Boys Custom Calls
" I can do all things through him who strengthens me."
Owner of Big Boys Custom Call making Custom Turkey Calls to Order. Mossy Oak Pro Staff The Good lord has Blessed me far more than I deserve. Philippians 4:13

JVA54

new2turkey

Sounds like a workout..  :lol:

congrats on a great bird  :you_rock:

Hognutz

Great looking bird. Nice Pictures. Well done..Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Ol'Mossy

cannonball

hnkr83

That looks like beautiful country to chase longbeards in.  Congrats and great pics!

njdevilsb

Great bird and pics.  Looks like an awesome spot to hunt them. 

turkey_slayer

Econo congrats on an excellent season and thats a great bird  :z-guntootsmiley:

Preacher

Romans 8:37

1iagobblergetter

Great story and awesome pictures!!!Gotta love hunting that piece of property!!!