turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Minimalist vest

Started by Tracker12, May 17, 2018, 10:59:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracker12

Looking for a light weight vest to carry a couple calls and incidentals. No pad wanted.

Gooserbat

If that's the case I'd opt for a fanny pack. Lighter weight and cooler.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Tracker12

I'm actually out with a fanny pack right now. Not the right pack but the idea is there and I may look for something to better fit the bill

Greg Massey

I've used it all vest, backpacks , fanny packs ... but the way to go is with one of Glenda Satchels ... it doesn't ride down on you like a fanny pack, easy to remove and carry with the shoulder strap, and will carry just enough to make you comfortable for a day in the woods .. it will carry that bottle of water and toilet paper with no problems...

howl

I prefer a chest pack. Other options put your stuff nearer the ground and gets things dirty or wet. Mine is something I adapted that is no longer on the market. HS Strut currently has the only commercial version I've seen.

I recommend putting a gallon zip loc in your chest pack. If the rain gets heavy, you can stick the whole thing in the zip loc to keep it dry.

Greg Massey

Quote from: howl on May 17, 2018, 01:16:32 PM
I prefer a chest pack. Other options put your stuff nearer the ground and gets things dirty or wet. Mine is something I adapted that is no longer on the market. HS Strut currently has the only commercial version I've seen.

I recommend putting a gallon zip loc in your chest pack. If the rain gets heavy, you can stick the whole thing in the zip loc to keep it dry.
If you are carrying this on your chest , were do you carry your binoculars, this is as important as my gun, shells and few other supplies...

tha bugman

Ol' Tom minimalist vest take the pad off.  Redhead classic turkey vest (more minimal than the Ol' Tom IMO) and you would not want to sit on the pad very long anyway.  I would probably leave it on and up and use it for back cushion.

howl

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 17, 2018, 01:21:26 PM
Quote from: howl on May 17, 2018, 01:16:32 PM

If you are carrying this on your chest , were do you carry your binoculars, this is as important as my gun, shells and few other supplies...

I generally don't. If I do, I use the old neoprene neck strap and sling them cross-body like you wear your satchel.

My wife has one of Miss Glenda's satchels, btw. She really likes it. I don't carry near enough stuff to fill one.

Tracker12

Have a web site to the satchel

Greg Massey

Quote from: Tracker12 on May 17, 2018, 04:13:09 PM
Have a web site to the satchel
All you have to do is message Glenda from this site... she can make you a smaller satchel... she can make anything you want .. like half the size .... i just like the satchel for fast removal...

Les C

I just saw this turkey vest on Midway USA website. ALPS Outdoors Longspur. Looks like a real minimalist vest. No seat pad. On clearance for $54.00

Spitten and drummen

Nomad makes a good vest that's similar to the bob Dixon vest. Box call pocket , pot call pocket(will actually hold 2 ) 3 striker pockets and a therma cell pocket. A mouthcall pocket and some pockets to hold gloves , mask, sand paper and shells. Some other pockets for misc things.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

cmooredeer

I love my Knight & Hale RNG 200.

outdoorsmen

Pics of the glenda bag? Im thinking about another super elite vest.  Also thinking about gettinv the tom teaser bag.

dswmsn

Just search "Bottomland satchel" on O.G. & you will find plenty of pics of Glenda Greens satchels. Glenda can be emailed at GreensCCH@yahoo.com and is quick to respond. I will now leave my vest at home on hot weather days and substitute it with my new custom handmade M.O. Bottomland satchel.