OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

First Virginia mountain gobbler

Started by jcraft1, May 16, 2018, 09:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

:welcomeOG:  Congrats brother!!!!  :jackson: Hope I get to come up there and hunt with you before ya'll leave. :happy0064: :happy0064:

jcraft1

Thank y'all! Little back story on this bird. It was killed in Jefferson national forest. About two weeks before I killed this bird a friend and I had heard a group of gobblers mid morning that were on the top of the ridge. They would gobble like crazy to a call but wouldn't budge. We were on a logging road below them. Second day we hunted they didn't start gobbling until even later in the morning and My buddy and I didn't have time to climb up to them due to having to be at work early. So we came  back the next day and got there really early to climb to the top of the ridge and wait on them. We didn't hear or see anything that morning. It was so strange. I went back the next day and didn't hear anything. I decided to give it a rest and hunt some other places. After not having any luck I decided to try this place one more time which it had been about  10 days since I had hunted this location. We get there at a decent time and make a few owl calls and they respond on top of the ridge. We decided to climb up to them. Once we get up to them. I sit down and make a few soft yelps. They responded instantly. I sat there maybe 5 minutes before I heard some foot steps. Once I finally saw them they were at about 25 yards. Once I got a clear shot I shot him at about 20 yards. It was a group of four gobblers. I couldn't have drawn it up any more perfect! The obsession continues to get worse!!

RutnNStrutn

Congrats!! Welcome to the addiction!! :icon_thumright:

1iagobblergetter

Congrats!! Great Birthday present...

KeyDett

Sir-diealot

Congratulations and happy birthday.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Jroddc

Kylongspur88

Tunaguy

Congrats! He'll of a birthday present.
" I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

DTGobble

yelpy

Couldn't of worked out any better. Congrats on your first and he looks to be a dandy!!

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

trkehunr93

Congrats!  Killed my first spring gobbler in the Jefferson National forest many moons ago, called him past two other hunters.  Can still remember every detail of that hunt.  Heck of a birthday present for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hatchet Jack

Very nice bird. Way to stick with it. A little extra effort sometimes goes a long ways.

falltoms

Congratulations on your mountain bird. I love them Virginia mountains