turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Where would you go?

Started by RussM311, May 16, 2018, 10:56:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RussM311

With the 2018 season ending, it is time to start looking for 2019....   As a journeyman turkey hunter, I have been blessed to be able to hunt several states in pursuit of gobbling toms.  I regularly hunt Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma and alternate Missouri and Kansas.    I think I would like to reach out to a different state in 2019 to give their birds a chance to humiliate me.  So, my question is:   where would you go for a public land 7-10 day hunt, if you could go at anytime from March through May?  Considering the amount of birds, available public land, and ease of access to that public land.   Where?    Why??   

TauntoHawk

With up to 10 day no where is too far and I'd want a decent bag limit. Nebraska, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee is where I'd start not in any particular order or the upper north east and hunt New York or Maine later in the year. Or fly north west and chase birds in Washington, Oregon, Idaho in terrain not like anything you've seen yet for turkeys.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Goodtimekiller

Nebraska or Washington state

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

Wisconsin is a good change of pace. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Sir-diealot

In 2019 I would like to get into PA and try to hunt once. I am already starting to plan a trip for 2020 to Oklahoma (Do I need snake boots there? Kingfisher County if that helps) where I have family. I normally go there every 2 to 3 years for CHRISTmas but in 2020 I am going to go in the spring because I would like to try to get a Rio Grande.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

SD_smith

I am dying to get out to Spokane, Washington! I hunt the Black Hills all season and love mountain birds!

Happy

If anything I would hit the southeast or maybe the Ozarks of Missouri.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

IAGobbler87

Either south Dakota or Colorado is on my short list!

Kylongspur88

I'll be in Colorado in July and will be scoping out some places to hunt Merriams next year.

TauntoHawk

I doubt I'll ever have the privilege to complete  US slam but I want to see and hunt as many states as I can in my lifetime. 

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

High plains drifter

South Dakota, Nebraska, Montana. You can hunt mountains, plains, and my favorite, the in between ground.There is lots of public land, and if you are by yourself, people will let you on, sometimes. Don't go to farms that look like yuppies live there.Look for the old farms.