OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Sitka Gear

Started by BottomLand54, May 12, 2018, 04:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BottomLand54

Who uses Sitka clothing for Deer hunting?

If so what works best?

I am looking for a bib or pants along with a jacket that will Work best all around I don't like to get cold. Some folks say stratus others say fanatic. What say you? Is it worth the money?

I want to stay warm without having to wear 4 layers. I am talking 15 degrees to 30 degrees hunting northeast early November.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arrow1

I have the Fanatic Hat, Bibs and Jacket.  You will not get cold wearing it.  You will sweat if you have to walk any distance in it.  I wear it mostly for late season muzzleloader hunting in Iowa when it's really cold.  The Windstopper/Fleece combo is key IMO and the hand muff and cross zipper is awesome when bowhunting.  I also have a Jetstream Jacket which I wear almost daily around town and wore it moose hunting in Maine this past season, to turkey hunting in South Dakota. A very versatile piece as well.

Dark Whiskey

I agree with the Fanatic Jacket and Bibs, But at 10 to 15 degrees you will need a good insulated under layer,,,dw

arrow1

No doubt layering is key to comfort. Base layer to Shell.

Deputy 14

Fanatic suit and some merino wool under it for 20 or less. Best investment I ever made for hunting gear. It's comfortable to 40 as long as your not moving much.
There will be several people say it's unnecessary, but those are the people who have never worn it.

Spring Creek Calls

I haven't used them for deer hunting yet but I bought the Mountain Pants back in March and have worn them nearly daily since the beginning of April. It is one of the best purchases I've made for my hunting life. The fit is like no other pant I own and all the zippered and snap pockets hold more than one should carry. I've worn them comfortably in 20 degrees with long johns and 75 degrees. Will be picking up a windproof jacket for the fall hunt. 
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

BottomLand54

I meant to tell you guys Im a bow hunter. Want to be able to move good in them. Keep it coming.

arrow1

Sitka Fanatic is designed for treestand bowhunting. Articulated sleeves, cross zip, muff, etc.

budtripp

I had the fanatic bibs and the status jacket and pant. For what you're describing the fanatic set is awesome. A good merino base layer and maybe a thin fleece midlauer for when it's really cold and you won't get cold in it. Of course, the layers you wear under depend on how cold tolerant you are, some people get cold easier than others etc. I actually sold my fanatic bibs because they were overkill for 95 percent of the deer hunting I do. I wished I still had them last January for muzzleloader season though. Should have kept them.

Dark Whiskey

The Fanatic set was design for bowhunters.

BottomLand54

Awesome guys, do you recommend Sitka base layer or just any base layers? I have some really good stuff from legendary whitetails that has really kept me warm and done an awesome job, it's just when it's cold 15-25 degrees I am dressed in so many layers and can't hardly move I feel like the Michelin man.

I wanted to be able to kinda thin down and possibly wear like a good fleece base layer and a good putter layer.

Alberta Jonny

If it's just for cold weather, save some money and wear any quality base layer.

renegade19

Deputy 14

I prefer Minus 33 merino wool. Sitka base is good, but Minus 33 has the base layers down pat.

Sixes

MidwayUSA has started making their own line of merino wool and they have it on sale a lot of the fall and winter.

I don't own any Sitka clothes but i do own a ton of First Lite gear.  Take a look at their products, I cannot believe that Sitka would be any better and First Lite normally runs a good bit cheaper.

I chose First Lite because the Sitka is more of an athletic cut and FL is more of a pudgy cut.