turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tagged out in NC

Started by tomstopper, May 10, 2018, 11:23:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomstopper

Well today was going to be my last opportunity to fill my tag here in NC due to my work schedule changing (start 7p-7a tonight and where I have been hunting; you have to get in early or don't go at all or you will spook them all out of the field).

Got in and at first light, I heard this fella gobbling. After some subtle yelps, I seen a hen appear from the brush working her way towards me down the road that borders a large cornfield. About 15 mins later, here comes this big red head following her same path.

I gave a series of yelps and got both the hen and Tom to answer. I decided it best to just shut up from here as they continued towards me.

At 7:43 they finally came to about 32yards where I decided it was time to give him a long and permanent nap.

Stats:
14.99lbs
9 3/4 in beard
Matching 1 1/4in spurs

I earned this bird as I have been hunting him for 5 days straight just waiting for his hens to dwindle as the nested. Finally today was the day. I have been blessed this year for sure as I have taken 4 birds total and tagged out in two states (2 in OH and 2 in NC). Was planning to hunt the end of the NY season for 3days but am deciding on calling it a season for 2018. I don't say this often, but I am just totally worn out...
Good luck to those of you still hunting. I will be getting my fix through you guys and gals.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

yelpy

Congrats!!! Turkey hunting in PA is a bit tough right now. I'd bet the NY birds are pretty quiet as well.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

wade

NICE bird! Congratulations. I been struggling in NC so far.
Do it outdoors

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Tomstopper522

renegade19

gunboy203

Congrats on a nice bird...  Been tough hunting here in NC this season..

tomstopper

Quote from: wade on May 10, 2018, 11:31:19 AM
NICE bird! Congratulations. I been struggling in NC so far.
Your not alone. I know a couple good turkey hunters who are so frustrated right now. I think a lot of luck plays into our success as turkey hunters. There have been a number of seasons when didn't get anything. The guys I know are going to give it another go tomorrow and at the end of the day, that's all you can do. Good luck brother.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

BottomLand54

Congrats about to take the wife last day here in NC I've put everyone else on birds, I hope this evening is her evening. She has never killed one and we have had two awesome hunts just Ive not been able to work the birds close enough. If she had a good caller to take her maybe she could get one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomstopper

Quote from: BottomLand54 on May 12, 2018, 04:11:53 PM
Congrats about to take the wife last day here in NC I've put everyone else on birds, I hope this evening is her evening. She has never killed one and we have had two awesome hunts just Ive not been able to work the birds close enough. If she had a good caller to take her maybe she could get one!

Good luck. Hopefully putting others on birds will bring rewards

BTH

Nice job on your birds!
Phil 4:13

perrytrails

Congrats on a great season!!

tomstopper

Quote from: BottomLand54 on May 12, 2018, 04:11:53 PM

How did you make out this evening?

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase