turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

SS Custom Calls and Spring Creek Owners

Started by Turkeytider, May 08, 2018, 11:43:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeytider

Looking at adding a short box from either or both SS and Spring Creek. Would greatly appreciate any input from owners/users of either or both as to favorite wood combos. Looking for something without too much rasp, maybe a medium pitch. Thanks in advance, everybody.

Bowguy

I've got a bunch of SS boxes. They're all great. Contact Al n tell him what you want.

coyote1

Everything i have from both makers sound great. My favorites from SS are kwila/butternut or purple heart/ red cedar if you want a little more rasp. My cherry/poplar from spring creek has been a killer.

Chris O

I like butternut and black limba for boxes and many different paddles walnut,Osage,blood wood, to name a few

TauntoHawk

I don't think there's a better call (for the money) then SS field grade when looking at short boxes

I have had at least 5 of Al's short boxes and I have one I'd put against any box I've ever heard when looking to kill turkeys
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

turkey stew

Any combo from SS Custom will kill birds! I have field grade, custom grade, parquet, and limited! They all run easy. Give Al a call. He will fix you up with a killer call.

davisd9

Love my SS Maple/Spanish Cedar. Easy to play and sounds great. The Kansas Rios was crazy over it in 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Turkeytider

Thanks everybody. Contacted Al, super responsive. He`s making a walnut over poplar two sided for me. One side tuned to a bit higher, less raspy yelp for a young hen, the other deeper and raspier for a more mature bird. Nothing but great feedback on SS Customs. REALLY looking forward to receiving it and practicing.

yelpy

Great choice in woods. I normally hunt a walnut over popular box call. The birds respond very good to it. I also have a few to the gun with a well tuned walnut over popular Snozz paddle.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

Pooh4459

Spring Creek makes a dang fine box to. I was super impressed with the call he made me.

owlhoot

Quote from: Pooh4459 on May 15, 2018, 08:22:40 PM
Spring Creek makes a dang fine box to. I was super impressed with the call he made me.
X2 on that, two short and a long box. All too good and full of turkey.

mgm1955

Won't go wrong with either. Talk with Mike and Al and get their advice.