OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

2.75 turkey loads.

Started by Bearhunter247, May 07, 2018, 08:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bearhunter247

Hey guys my girlfriend wants to shoot a 12ga turkey gun...but wants to only use 2.75 shells. Can anyone give me a starting point on a 870 or sxp for a good starting point for a reliable 40 yd load and choke. Not looking for anything tss (don't hand load) but anything hevishot or lead I'm open to. Was leaning towards mag blends reduced recoil but open to suggestions. Thanks advance.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Marc

Hevi-shot makes a 2 3/4" duck load with 1 1/4 oz of shot that would work just fine...  Apparently the Hevi-shot pheasant loads are designed to open faster and I would avoid them.

Fiocchi makes a 2 3/4" 1 3/8 oz load in Golden Pheasant that is nickle-plated lead that patterns really well for me.  As a hotter load, it also recoils a bit more.

The Hevi-shot would be my choice for both patterning and recoil.

Whatever she shoots, let her pattern with light target loads to get a feel of where to aim, and YOU pattern the hunting load to make sure it patterns well...  She likely will not feel the recoil while hunting, but patterning can be a bit off-putting for anyone.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

CALLM2U

A LOT of turkeys have died at the end of a 2 3\4 inch shell. If you don't expect her to shoot past 35-40 yards, then most loads would work. I still have about 50 XX Magnums in 2 3\4 that I would hunt with tomorrow without hesitation.

Marc had a great suggestion about you pattering the gun vs. you. Great advice.

Gooserbat

Id honestly just let her use some 3" shells.  In the heat of the moment she's not going to know if it's a dove load or a turkey load.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Bearhunter247

Thanks guys. Yes she doesn't shoot any full powered loads. She's probably be able to shoot my 3.5s at a turkey an not feel it the only thing is she's watched me pattern it an seen it kick and refuses to shoot them. Can't really blame her though. I don't consider that I've called them up until they get to 35 but 40 is definitely the max.

ShootingABN!

As stated let her shoot low brass shells. You try the 2 3/4".

I can say 20 semi auto 3" is easy for women to shoot.

My 3.5" semi auto kicks like a 22.... Depends on the gun and the loads. :) Good luck.

earl9932

I only shoot 2 3/4 12ga: +1 Hevi shot duck load #6, Remington Express #6 and Federal Heavyweight #7 work for me as well. 

Bottom line is pattern to see what works; I use a mod choke and ~35 yards is max distance for me. 

Chris O

Winchester makes 2 3/4 turkey loads they can be hard to find but that is what my oldest son started with

wchadw

Quote from: Bearhunter247 on May 07, 2018, 08:44:39 PM
Hey guys my girlfriend wants to shoot a 12ga turkey gun...but wants to only use 2.75 shells. Can anyone give me a starting point on a 870 or sxp for a good starting point for a reliable 40 yd load and choke. Not looking for anything tss (don't hand load) but anything hevishot or lead I'm open to. Was leaning towards mag blends reduced recoil but open to suggestions. Thanks advance.

You can get longbeard XR  2 3/4 online at cabelas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

owlhoot

Winchester XR Rooster # 6's. 2 3/4"
2 3/4 longbeard only come in 5's last I knew. But work too

stinkpickle

Quote from: owlhoot on May 08, 2018, 10:50:14 AM
Winchester XR Rooster # 6's. 2 3/4"
2 3/4 longbeard only come in 5's last I knew. But work too

This.  ^^^

BrowningGuy88

Maybe I am in the minority, but if you are dead set on 2.75" loads there are only two sets I'd consider. The black box Winchester baby magnum 1.5 ounce #6's or a fast 1.25 ounce load of nickel or copper plated 7.5's. Choked right either will get you 35 yards.

Dtrkyman

My wife shot Win. xx mag 1 5/8 oz loads, they patterned well enough to 40.

shoer2

I shoot a old wingmaster sometimes it likes 2.75 Winchester double x number 5's.tried others but patterns good with them...

Bearhunter247

Thanks for all.the input. I shoot a old Winchester 37 alot. But she wears glasses an can't focus on the bead that shoots Winchester grey box 4s awesome. I have a sxp that has sights she can see good with a hevishot .664 tube in it should that choke be fine or will I need a tighter tube since it's less shot