OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I want a green and red slate call. Who should I contact?

Started by idgobble, May 07, 2018, 07:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idgobble

I like two sided calls and for my next and probably last pot call after 50 years of turkey hunting I want one with red slate on one side and green on the other.  One of my best friend's family has a slate quarry in NY that is the only one that I know of that quarries red slate and I hope to be able to get a call made with his slate. This will be a special order. Who would you recommend I contact?

Bowhuntr73

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

outdoors

You're asking for a call from what I know hasn't been made yet  red slate is a hard one to make  green isn't
If you get one that sounds great let me know
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

idgobble

Quote from: outdoors on May 07, 2018, 09:58:23 PM
You're asking for a call from what I know hasn't been made yet  red slate is a hard one to make  green isn't
If you get one that sounds great let me know

Yup, I know. But I think the first call maker to make one will have lots of orders for it. Nothing like something new to get new customers!

Sir-diealot

I really like the sound of my green slate I just got from Mac Calls. I was thinking of having Sinclair do a red slate for me over the summer.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

southern_leo

Problem with that combo is that green and red are both expensive and have limited availability. From my understanding only about 50% of red slate surfaces actually play worth anything so you end up wasting alot which doubles your cost. Then your gonna have to reduce the green since they don't make it in 3 inch (that I've ever seen). So that's a tall order that would be expensive and risky. But would be cool. I have some green and two pieces of red right now. I may toy with the idea. Reducing the slate without damaging would be the hardest part I think

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

idgobble

Red might be limited availability but I can tell you were there's truckloads of it.  You'd have to saw it into the right sizes. PM me if you want tons of it.

BTH

For green slate, I have had a Sinclair and a Halloran and whilee we're good calls I sold both as they were not what I wanted. Will be going after a Roberts or Blackstone before next spring. Lonzo's are supposed to be outstanding as well.

Have not seen an over under red green slate combo. I would ask a builder who is known to make both.
Phil 4:13

KYFrid

outdoors

There's quite a few good ones out there
My vote for Sinclaire, if you go to his web site and get a idea of
What he has to offer , I don't think you will be disappointed .
If you go that route
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

southern_leo

Alot of names being thrown out but OP is wanting a single pot with a red SURFACE and green SOUNDBOARD from my understanding. I've never seen this from any maker. I've never seen a green slate sound board. If anyone has I'd be very interested.

idgobble

Quote from: southern_leo on May 08, 2018, 11:10:42 AM
Alot of names being thrown out but OP is wanting a single pot with a red SURFACE and green SOUNDBOARD from my understanding. I've never seen this from any maker. I've never seen a green slate sound board. If anyone has I'd be very interested.

You're correct.  I want a two sided call with green on one side and red on the other.  Knowing that, I think I should only contact makers who are already making two sided calls.  This call will be unique, I doubt if anyone is making it now but I think it would be a good seller.  We're always looking for something new!  So please limit suggestions to makers who already make two siders.

sbbow