OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Does TSS Require a new Choke Tube

Started by gobbler777, May 04, 2018, 03:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobbler777

I have a Rem 870 Youth Model 20 ga. topped with one of Williams Sumtoy chokes for shooting Federal Heavywights ... Flight Control 7's.
I want to get some TSS 9's from APEX and want to pattern. Do I need to get a different Choke Tube or my SumToy choke good to go?
Thanks
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

davisd9

William can tell you how well it should shoot but it should be totally safe to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Spitten and drummen

From using TSS over the last 6 years , myself and many of my friends have found that a factory full choke gives awesome patterns from a 870. I have also found that Tss 9's seem to like a little more open choke. I shoot a IC .555 in my benelli m2 and it gives a real hot 10 core where as I shoot a Sumtoy .568 in my winchester sx3. I have a more even 10 and 20 with this choke. I have found you do not have to have a high dollar choke to get awesome patterns wit it. This is coming from someone who has tried a lot of chokes and several different handloads.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: gobbler777 on May 04, 2018, 03:15:34 PM
I have a Rem 870 Youth Model 20 ga. topped with one of Williams Sumtoy chokes for shooting Federal Heavywights ... Flight Control 7's.
I want to get some TSS 9's from APEX and want to pattern. Do I need to get a different Choke Tube or my SumToy choke good to go?
Thanks

If its a 562-5 you will be set.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

wchadw

Thanks
The federal as supposed to be ok due to the flight control wad

I have heard stories about apex "burning up" barrels but don't know of anyone personally so it may be BS.

I did start using federal tss thru my jebs with no problem so far

wchadw

Quote from: wchadw on May 04, 2018, 06:22:02 PM
Thanks
The federal as supposed to be ok due to the flight control wad

I have heard stories about apex "burning up" barrels but don't know of anyone personally so it may be BS.

I did start using federal tss thru my jebs with no problem so far

Also I emailed the apex guys about which of their loads they would recommend for my 12 with jebs .655 any they said they recommend using a .660 or looser choke for their shells so I would recommend emailing them and asking about 20 gauge

DirtNap647

On a apex ammo  box it states no smaller than .555 for 20 gauge

Gooserbat

You probably don't have anything to worry about
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

ShootingABN!

Keep us posted and show some pictures once you chute it...