OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Closest turkey kill?

Started by roverboy, May 03, 2018, 06:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roverboy

I don't know if this has been asked on here before but, what is your closest kill? Lots of guys talk about their farthest but, never about one they called up close. Calling'em in close is exciting and sometimes takes some doing. My closest by the way is not really all that close. 22 yards. My problem is I usually don't let'em get close. Lol.
Listen for the gobble

tomstopper

First one I ever shot was when I was 14 and he snuck in behind me and when he walked by the tree I was up against, I got him at about 10 steps. Just about took his whole head off. Thankfully that was before I knew anything about chokes and I didn't have my gun patterned like it is now (I might of had a full choke on my 1300 and it was probably the factory one that came with it) or I might have missed him all together. Nowadays I like them to be at least 15-20 yards away before I shoot

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

troutfisher13111

3 yards. Was hunting right next to a sharp drop off. The tom was responding good and coming in quick from in front of me. He went silent for about ten minutes then all of a sudden pops up behind me right over my shoulder and sees me just as I see him. I swing and shoot and luckily hit him right square in the neck. His head was literally hanging by a thread of skin. There was so much blood that the top third of his body and beard looked wet.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Spurs Up

About 7 feet from the end of the barrel.  Not deliberate as my trigger finger usually gets a twitch at 30-35 yards. Was caught in a tight and thick spot that time...

MK M GOBL

My whole game is about killing them close, we are in the under 20 yard range and mostly 15-17 yards and in the 8-10 yard range with the bow! Now my closest ever was about 10ft, quite a story with it.

MK M GOBL

roverboy

Quote from: Spurs Up on May 03, 2018, 07:41:54 PM
About 7 feet from the end of the barrel.  Not deliberate as my trigger finger usually gets a twitch at 30-35 yards. Was caught in a tight and thick spot that time...
Yeah, 30-35 yards and if I've got a clear shot I usually take it. I've shot several at 30 yards or so when they was still walking closer.
Listen for the gobble

Strutbuster91

My closest was less than 5yds he flew right off the roost to me Nd the barrel was already pointed where he landed. As soon as his feet hit the ground I shot. I thought he was going to fly by me

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Happy

7-8 steps if memory serves me right.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

stinkpickle

About 15 feet.  It punched a hole thru this head like he'd been hit with a slug.

Deast1988

7yds, I called one in for a buddy at 2yds.

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: stinkpickle on May 03, 2018, 08:45:18 PM
About 15 feet.  It punched a hole thru this head like he'd been hit with a slug.

Me too

catman529

Closest kill was my first kill. Jake at 6 yards. Missed one at about 10 last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fatbeard

I had been seeing some birds in a small draw for several days and set up in it one afternoon about 13 years or so ago. Set up in a briar patch and heard scratching and walking behind me. Had 5 hens come out to my right side but no tom. Then ppfffttt wwhhhooopp spit and drumming to me immediate left and at 4 feet he came by. Blew his head completely off. And 1 time while scouting I had a few turkeys on a ridge and had a hen walk right by my left foot
East TN Beard Buster

SteelerFan

Assuming you are talking about no blind that is perched over a decoy spread...

- about 12 yds. Bird put a tree between us as he approached. I prefer 30 yds!