OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which sup-species would you chase?

Started by Marc, May 03, 2018, 12:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Which sup-species would you chase?

In California, I am shooting what many refer to as California hybrids...  Mostly Rio's with some mixture of Merriam's and Easterns.

I have shot most of my birds in the rolling foothills, which in the spring is gorgeous country to be in...  Tall green grass under oaks, with an abundance of wild flowers...  And all the wild life that comes with it.

I have shot birds in horse pastures and walnut orchards as well, but I prefer the lush green rolling hills.  As the birds are spreading to lower elevations, it looks like we will (at some point in the future) have the opportunity to shoot them in the riparian river bottoms and agricultural fields (we are already seeing this to the north to a growing degree).

Were I to travel and hunt, I would want to hunt some pretty country, and the forested areas of higher elevations really appeal to me...  I love the smell of pine, and I enjoy that high country, and I like the idea of being able to hunt a big area in big country.  Also, I think that Merriam's are one of the prettier sub-species of birds.  I think I would enjoy hunting that country, and would love to get a good specimen for a cape/beard to put on display.

So for me, it would be Merriam's, followed by Easterns in the woods...  Although, if I were to get an unexpected influx of finances, my preference might switch to Gould's in Mexico...  High desert also appeals to me, but frankly I know little about these birds.

Were you to take a trip, what type of country and sub-species would it be???
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

JMalin

Probably a goulds, if for no other reason than most diehard turkey hunters will never get the opportunity to do so.  I suspect it's not much different than hunting for Merriam's or Rios.  I'd also like to chase an Eastern here in Texas.  I think it would be quite an accomplishment due to their relatively low numbers and more than likely needing to kill one on public land, as I don't have a private land connection with easterns.

bigbird

I'm going to stick with a good ol eastern. Can't beat the thunderous gobbles and they are in all kinds of different habitats too for a wide variety of challenges

davisd9

Easterns are my favorite, but my dream hunt is Rios in Hawaii, not sure why other than it seems like it would be cool.  Would also like to go to New Zealand and try a Rio.  Love hunting big sky country as well.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

kyturkeyhunter4

I would say my first choice would be the good ol eastern and my second choice would be a rio. I've always wonted to kill a rio

wernerjd

I haven't hunted anything other than easterns here in Iowa/Nebraska. My first choice would be Mariam's in Wyoming and the Easterns in the east.

Tail Feathers

Gotta love those hard gobbling Rios.  When it's good in Rio country, it's real good!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

TauntoHawk

Mirriams are the prettier bird but give me an Eastern on a large hardwoods ridge

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

nitro

I have been fortunate enough to hunt and kill all 5 of the true Turkey subspecies.

The Goulds in Old Mexico was by far the greatest adventure - hunted at high elevation and thin air. That said,  I grew up hunting and killing lots and lots of Easterns.

My favorite is the Merriams - they play the game right and live in the most beautiful places.  Hard to beat.. super fun and always exciting !!  I wish everyone had the chance to travel to new country and extend their season. 
Royal Slam 2008

roverboy

I love Easterns but, would love to go on a Osceola hunt down in South Florida.
Listen for the gobble

tomstopper

Shot a ton of easterns so for me it would be Merriam's and then osceolas

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

LaLongbeard

I've killed them all and enjoyed each hunt but I prefer the Eastern Wild Turkey in the woods be it swamp or pine /hardwood ridges. I am done chasing the others and any trip I plan is for Easterns.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Gooserbat

I want to go to Everywhere.  Everywhere is the place that I've been told there is lots of turkeys.  Still looking for it but maybe someday.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

hunter22

I have killed gobblers in several states and my favorite hunts were the two Merriams I killed in Colorado at 8500ft elevation on public land.

stinkpickle

I don't know.  Although I think Merriams and Goulds are prettier turkeys, I just can't get over an Eastern's thunder.