OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which sup-species would you chase?

Started by Marc, May 03, 2018, 12:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

countryboy3006

I have only hunted Easterns in my home state but if I ever had the opportunity to travel my top choice would be a Merriams because of the country they are in and the looks of them.  Then probably a Goulds and Rio and lastly Osceola.

Ross R

No one wants to come down here in the wet, hot, and bug infested swamps of south florida lol ?!?  I cant wait to get out of the swamps and head up to the mountains and hunts Merriams next year.  It is going to be a big change for me. 

Crawl79

Finished my grand slam this year. Still want have to go back to Florida so I can have an all public slam and hopefully get a one year slam. That being said so far Merriams where my favorite bird to hunt. Osceola was great but very similar to my normal hunting in Louisiana.

If I had to choose only one would be a good ole Eastern. All of them have different things that I like about them but a big woods eastern is what I live for.

turkeyfoot

Most my birds have been easterns due to where I live have killed rios and they were fun but my favorites are merriams if I had choose just one to chase rest my days it would be them beautiful bird and many times can fire them up any hour of the day

Yoder409

I guess, at this point, I'd like to chase some Osceolas.  I've chased them all but the Osceola.  Each of the others has its own type of appeal.  I'm sure the south Florida birds do too.

Heck..................just let me chase turkeys !!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Sir-diealot

I really like the white in Merriam's I would like to hunt them in Montana (I have always wanted to go there anyway) and Goulds (Again for that white in them) in New Mexico.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

idgobble

Merriams because of the wide variety of terrain. High mountains, low lands, thick forests, open rolling hills, farm lands, desert, prairie. Hunting 10,000 feet elevation at the snowline down to a few hundred feet above sea level. But the best part for me is the distances you can call them in from, sometimes more than a mile. One of my favorite hunts was calling them from a mile away in South Dakota over to me in Wyoming and watching them coming from across a canyon. We spotted the three gobblers about a 1000 yards away coming to us and could watch them most of the way.

Jim K

I've shot the four. My favorite is the Merriams in Ponderosa pine country. Lord willing, I'll be chasing them in Montana next spring.

The most satisfying though for me is getting them here in Pa on public ground.

lil foot

Merriam. love the country, but i like anywhere i don't have to wait for him to gobble to make sure its a turkey and not a mosquito. Good ole Florida.

tha bugman

I love going to Texas so I would say Rio's in Texas.

IAGobbler87

I've taken eastern, Rio, and eastern/Rio hybrids. I've gone for merriams, and never gotten one, so it'd have to be those darn purty merriams!

RutnNStrutn

Merriams have been my favorite to hunt. They love gobbling, which in my opinion helps you as a hunter.
Next would be Rios, for the same reason, although they don't seem to gobble quite as much as Merriams do.
Next would be Osceolas. Being a Floridian (for now), I cut my turkey hunting teeth on public land Osceolas, and find them to be more responsive than Easterns.
Easterns are more of a pain in the butt to my experience. I've killed them in several states, but have found them to be the hardest to hunt.

SD_smith

Quote from: Ross R on May 14, 2018, 01:45:48 PM
No one wants to come down here in the wet, hot, and bug infested swamps of south florida lol ?!?  I cant wait to get out of the swamps and head up to the mountains and hunts Merriams next year.  It is going to be a big change for me.

I grew up in Labelle, FL and learned everything I know from Osceolas down there in orange groves, cypress swamps, and giant oak hammocks. Moved out to the Black Hills this past year after hunting out here the previous 2 years. I LOVE it! Beautiful land everywhere you go and its soooo nice not having to crank up a thermacell everytime you stop.

Bolandstrutters

Merriams for the beautiful land they inhabit, Easterns in the hardwood ridges and their gobbles that damn near blow your hat off. 

Tail Feathers

Quote from: Gooserbat on May 03, 2018, 08:40:04 PM
I want to go to Everywhere.  Everywhere is the place that I've been told there is lots of turkeys.  Still looking for it but maybe someday.
I haven't hunted anywhere that I didn't like it.  But I agree, everywhere would be a great place to hunt!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!