turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Full Moon and turkey hunting

Started by hd mike, May 02, 2018, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hd mike

Just finished a great four day hunt in Kansas. The first 2 1/2 days, the birds were active and responsive all day. The last day and half their mood changed. Little talking and not "roaming" like they did earlier in the week. We didn't over hunt the property's, as we had other farms to hunt, all private property. Our group noticed we were at the height of the full moon.

Does the full moon affect turkey activity, as it does deer or people ? We did fill 7 of 8 tags. Five toms and two jakes. There was a definite mood change.   

tha bugman

Don't know about it affecting turkey behavior.  I know that the full moon has helped me move in tight on pre-dawn gobblers who thought that it was time to wake up and make the donuts!

turkeymanjim

I think it's all barometric pressure. The change in barometer pressures from low to high.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

gobblerhead

We ran into the same thing last week in Kansas. 1st part of week was good as far as activity goes, granted we had some cold and rain in middle of week but thought Thur and Fri was gonna be great. Boy were we wrong, almost no activity what so ever.
Gobble Gobble Gobble.........BOOOM.....Gobble Gobble Gobble!!!

bbcoach

This isn't deer hunting.  Deer will move and feed all night during a full moon and laydown during the day.  Turkeys don't so they will still be on their toes feeding during the day.  Do they gobble less, when there is a full moon, who knows, no one knows what goes on in that walnut sized brain.  All of us have had days hunting these birds that were PRIMO and the next day nothing.  Who knows what happens, that's Hunting.   

catman529

I doubt it has anything to do with their activity. Turkeys do what they want, when they want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fallhnt

No

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Sir-diealot

Not 100% convinced yet on the deer side, I got to meet Charles Alsheimer several times and we got into a short conversation about the moon phases that he would talk about and how they ran on an 11 year cycle. The thing that was interesting to me was that as a Ham Radio Operator we rely on sunspots to propagate the ionosphere to let us talk long distance (Most people will know this better as "Skip" from C.B. lingo) and the fact that it solar flares or spots (Can't remember which right now) run on the exact same 11 year cycle as the moon phases do. He had said that it was an interesting point and it could also be a part of it but he never did do any research on it that I know of.

Just a thought, maybe it is the sun and not the moon, who knows?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Marc

Quote from: hd mike on May 02, 2018, 09:23:16 AM

Does the full moon affect turkey activity, as it does deer or people ? We did fill 7 of 8 tags. Five toms and two jakes. There was a definite mood change.   
How does the full moon effect people?

Turkeys are in no way nocturnal, and birds will not feed or be active at night...  Full moon might make birds a bit "buggy," but I still hunt them the same as with no moon...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

LI Outdoorsman

I've actually found on calm clear nights with a full moon makes them gobble even more!

shatcher

I don't know about the full moon, but a northeast wind makes them tight lipped.  Oh well, you go when you can.

Happy

Quote from: LI Outdoorsman on May 02, 2018, 08:01:35 PM
I've actually found on calm clear nights with a full moon makes them gobble even more!
I will dispute that. I haven't heard one on the roost the last 3 mornings in a row.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

tnanh

Marc wrote: How does the full moon effect people?

I am a retired police officer from one of the most violent cities in the country. I spent 12 years in patrol on midnights in two of the most violent wards in the country and then 9 years as a detective in violent crimes. Sex crimes and Homicide. I promise you, a full moon has a drastic affect on people. Violent crime and property crimes both increase. Especially violent crime. Lots of police officers can verify this very sad fact.

kjnengr

Quote from: tnanh on May 02, 2018, 10:32:13 PM
Marc wrote: How does the full moon effect people?

I am a retired police officer from one of the most violent cities in the country. I spent 12 years in patrol on midnights in two of the most violent wards in the country and then 9 years as a detective in violent crimes. Sex crimes and Homicide. I promise you, a full moon has a drastic affect on people. Violent crime and property crimes both increase. Especially violent crime. Lots of police officers can verify this very sad fact.

This^. Ask any ER doctor or nurse if humans are affected y the full moon.  We as humans are affected more by the moon than we know it. We artificially create almost our entire surroundings so we don't realize the small things. That being said, I am sure the moon affects turkeys and their lives in some way but I couldn't tell you how.

tomstopper

My wife is an ER nurse and there have been numerous times where she has went to go to work and made the comment "great, it's a full moon so tonight is going to be hell". I used to think she was kidding until I heard about some of the stories and seen how it affected her emotionally ( there has been numerous times where she comes home after her shift and tells me about it and breaks down). People don't realize how much nurses go through. They are truly overlooked heros. As for turkeys, I couldn't say.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk