OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Will deep cleaning a choke damage it?

Started by Claybirdd, April 29, 2018, 10:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claybirdd

Well I miced my choke and apparently polishing it opened th I.D. to .664 so that's most of my problem.  Shot 2 boxes of dove shells with no cleaning whatsoever not even a bore brush, and my patters are almost back to normal.   30 and 35 yards are killer but at 40 it opens up a lot.  So much I can't tell the difference between a 3" longbeard #5 magnum out of the longbeard choke and a 3" turkey thug out of my other .670 choke.

ShootingABN!

bbcoach

Quote from: Claybirdd on May 02, 2018, 01:23:27 AM
Well I miced my choke and apparently polishing it opened th I.D. to .664 so that's most of my problem.  Shot 2 boxes of dove shells with no cleaning whatsoever not even a bore brush, and my patters are almost back to normal.   30 and 35 yards are killer but at 40 it opens up a lot.  So much I can't tell the difference between a 3" longbeard #5 magnum out of the longbeard choke and a 3" turkey thug out of my other .670 choke.
Was this choke a .665 ID choke before polishing?  If it was, polishing has only took out 1 thousandth out of the choke, which is very, very minimal.  What probably happened was you smoothed up the rough edges of the wad strippers so the strippers aren't doing what they were designed to do.  If it is a .670 then it surprises me that scotch brite can remove 6 thousandths of hard stainless steel from a choke.

Tracker12

Shotguns do not have lands and groves. No idea why N.Y. one would deep clean a choke

Claybirdd

It was a .660 choke.  So the scotch Brite took out .002 per side, or .004 overall.  New size is .664.  I fully agree that a rounded the edges on the grooves\steps.  It's still a damn tight choke at 30-35 yards which is my prime kill zone anyways.  I think I'm gonna hang on to the choke and play with different loads.  Who knows.....

Marc

Quote from: Claybirdd on May 04, 2018, 06:21:43 PM
It was a .660 choke.  So the scotch Brite took out .002 per side, or .004 overall.  New size is .664.  I fully agree that a rounded the edges on the grooves\steps.  It's still a damn tight choke at 30-35 yards which is my prime kill zone anyways.  I think I'm gonna hang on to the choke and play with different loads.  Who knows.....
Did you measure before polishing?

I have found that "a majority" of aftermarket chokes (i.e. Briley, Trulock, Angleport) are not the constriction they are supposed to be.  When ordering after-market chokes, I specifically tell the person I am ordering from that I will be measuring the bore (so that they are more likely to be careful making them).

In fact, I purchased a gun a few years back, and checked the chokes before paying...  Several of the chokes were mis-marked...  They were way off...

However, I have never had an after-market choke company that did not stand by their product.  Were I you, I would call the company, and tell them exactly what happened, and see if they will not send you another choke???
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Marc on May 04, 2018, 07:09:37 PM
Quote from: Claybirdd on May 04, 2018, 06:21:43 PM
Did you measure before polishing?

I have found that "a majority" of aftermarket chokes (i.e. Briley, Trulock, Angleport) are not the constriction they are supposed to be.  When ordering after-market chokes, I specifically tell the person I am ordering from that I will be measuring the bore (so that they are more likely to be careful making them).

In fact, I purchased a gun a few years back, and checked the chokes before paying...  Several of the chokes were mis-marked...  They were way off...

However, I have never had an after-market choke company that did not stand by their product.  Were I you, I would call the company, and tell them exactly what happened, and see if they will not send you another choke???
You can buy 2 exact same shotguns and measure the inside bore of each barrel and they arent the same also most generally.

Claybirdd

That's a negative. I did not mic it beforehand.

Claybirdd

Just thought that I would give everyone a final update. After a whole lot of extensive testing with various shells ranges and conditions. I finally decided to call my turkey choke dead. It just will not pattern like it did whenever I first bought it. So I trashed it and ordered a new one. Looks like you can polish a nun stepped choke to a mirror finish and it has no negative effect. But the Step chokes like the cremator and long beard have to have those sharp edges.

Fortunately, found a place online that was having a close out sale and got one for $35

ltprod

Where??
35 hook a brother up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1iagobblergetter

Live and learn. At least you found a deal on a replacement. I personally wouldnt polish any type of choke though.

Claybirdd

Quote from: ltprod on May 18, 2018, 07:53:32 AM
Where??
35 hook a brother up

Amazon.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk