OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

TSS is serious stuff!

Started by Mossyballs, April 29, 2018, 06:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossyballs

The flop has stopped!  Just killed my first gobbler this morning with tss.
Shot was 40 ish with Remington 870 23" barrel and undertaker .665 choke.
Bird did not twitch. No movement whatsoever. Just crumbled.
Never seen that happen before.
I am sold on them.

On the flip side, I would be terrified to hunt with a turkey fan for fear of being shot with tss at any range.

turkeymanjim

That is my biggest fear also with this tss shot. Had a friend of mine shot in the face years ago with lead shot in the spring season. Two guys shot at him at the same time, he survived, with tss, I don't think he would've been so lucky.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Marc

I do not think that the lack of a flop speaks to the deadliness of the load...  I would guess that it would possibly indicate a heart shot?

I have shot the heads clean off a couple of birds (as in vaporized), and they still flopped (a lot)...  I shot the top half of the head off a bird a couple years ago, and he was bouncing off the ground flopping.  I do not think that it was the shot material that made them flop, I think it was the instant shock to the nervous system...

I have no doubt that TSS is great stuff, and probably the top choice in shot material currently. 
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

JMalin

The only turkey I've ever killed that didn't flop was one I killed with my bow.  Body shot that hit vitals.  He simply landed on his back, kicked his legs briefly as if trying to run, and stopped all together after 2-3 seconds.

bbcoach

I have the same thing happen with 2 1/4 oz of Hevi 7's.  I've killed many birds with Hevi 7's and have only had 1 flop.  Even killed a bird at 38 yards with the same result.  We've talked about the flop at length.  I can't explain it but I get the No Flop as well.

stinkpickle

Flopping, or the lack thereof, has nothing to do with the shot type or material. 

idratherb

howl

Lack of floppage seems to occur more with a dense pattern regardless of material. It knocks them silly and they never come to.

Agree on the dangers of long range shooting and irresponsible usage of decoys.

Tail Feathers

My guess is that taking out the brain stem with a pellet or two is what prevents flopping.  It stands to reason that denser patterns increase the chance of this.

But it's just a theory.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Old Gobbler

Fanning is = Russian roulette , even more so these days given the potency of some loads

That youtube prostaffer ain't gonna help pay for your funeral , or support your family when your gone
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

JMalin

I've seen decapitated birds flop/flap...

tomstopper

Quote from: stinkpickle on April 29, 2018, 08:35:46 PM
Flopping, or the lack thereof, has nothing to do with the shot type or material.
Agree. I have had a couple that just dropped and I use the turkey thug federal ammo #5s

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

ShootingABN!

Congratulations!

And not to high jack your Thread.... But talking about no flopping......
The hardest I've ever hit one was with #4 at 25yards or so. I full strut. Once I pulled the trigger.... BOOM the bird was knocked over on its side still blowed up in full strut, it took a several seconds for the puffiness to go down..... Only happened once with all the birds I have killed...

Seemed more flopping with #6, than with my 5 or 4..... But I shoot custom heavy 4x5x7....

Once I run out I'll order custom  TSS.

Good luck everyone.

dublelung

I have to lol at the flop vs no flop discussions/debates. Here's the facts, some flop and some don't. Ain't nothing you can do to change it. Carry on. TSS is bad medicine though, I like it.

Ranger

Quote from: merriamsman on April 30, 2018, 12:16:02 AM
Don't know about the flop, but my first two kills with TSS were at 50 and 60 yards, and both birds were good and dead. I know I'm impressed.
Couldn't get them any closer than half a football field?
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough