OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

So you "harvest" or "kill" gobblers when telling stories

Started by WNCTracker, April 29, 2018, 08:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCTracker

I've always said "kill" or "shot" because to me harvesting softens the reality of the act and I don't feel like I should have to do that. I think harvest came along with the popularity of hunting TV shows because I can't remember ever hearing it when I was growing up. I did a google search and found this (very lengthy) article that steven rinella  from Meateater wrote. What do you say?

https://www.google.com/amp/www.themeateater.com/2016/hunting-matters-harvest-or-kill-considering-our-choice-of-language-in-hunting-stories/amp/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomstopper

I say kill, leveled, harvest, etc. depending on what ever I feel at the time. What I don't say and drives me nuts is when people say they caught a deer or turkey. They aren't fish and you can't throw them back.....

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

WNCTracker

Quote from: tomstopper on April 29, 2018, 08:54:44 AM
I say kill, leveled, harvest, etc. depending on what ever I feel at the time. What I don't say and drives me nuts is when people say they caught a deer or turkey. They aren't fish and you can't throw them back.....

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Yeah that's an odd one that folks say here too. "Got" one yes, "caught" one ....that's just odd.  None of it bothers me in the least so this post wasn't intended as a judgement on others just curious to hear others opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

I kill game , I catch fish and I harvest vegetables. Quiet simple for me.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

crow

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 29, 2018, 10:05:11 AM
I kill game , I catch fish and I harvest vegetables. Quiet simple for me.

thats about it for me also,---- either killed or shot.

back when I was a boy and would sometimes shoot rabbits off of the combine for the pot, they were never "harvested", they were shot. soybeans were combined and corn was picked, even they weren't  "harvested".

wade

I write a weekly newspaper column on huntin', fishin' and other outdoorsy stuff. I don't shy away from saying shot or killed but I do mix in taken or harvested just to be more interesting.
Do it outdoors

1iagobblergetter

I think Harvest was when Obama was in office. Now that Trumps in its OK to say Killed everyone... :TooFunny:

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Marc

Depends on my mood, and the literary tone I want to set...  I like to sound more smarter than I is...

But, most of the people I interact with on a daily basis are not hunters (not against hunting, just not hunters), and harvesting is a bit less off-putting.  With water fowl maybe I got my limit, and with turkeys, I harvested a bird.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

TauntoHawk

Just catch em like this guy... that way if they aren't big enough you just throw em back

Put up a heck of a struggle when you get a good set of hooks in there though

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sixes

I hate to see the word harvested in print when discussing KILLING game animals. 

LaLongbeard

I say killed.
But I prefer harvest over "smoked, hammered, fed such and such load" etc etc
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

KentuckyHeadhunter

Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 29, 2018, 01:08:52 PM
Just catch em like this guy... that way if they aren't big enough you just throw em back

Put up a heck of a struggle when you get a good set of hooks in there though

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

That's hilarious :TooFunny:
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Happy

I don't think about that aspect. Typically I say killed or took. I am not ashamed of it. Killing is a pretty critical aspect of hunting. Without killing hunting becomes hiking. But I agree that the stupid catch phrases should be grounds for a public beating.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

howl

When you feed, selectively cull and photographically monitor your deer herd to the point you have pet names for them, then 'harvest' is the correct word just the same as any other kind of farming. Turkeys where I hunt, on the other hand...