turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

So you "harvest" or "kill" gobblers when telling stories

Started by WNCTracker, April 29, 2018, 08:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobble!

Depends who I'm talking to. 95% of the time I kill them. The other 5% I harvest them.

BrowningGuy88

Sir-diealot

Quote from: tomstopper on April 29, 2018, 08:54:44 AM
I say kill, leveled, harvest, etc. depending on what ever I feel at the time. What I don't say and drives me nuts is when people say they caught a deer or turkey. They aren't fish and you can't throw them back.....

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
This and people that talk about whitetail deer having "Horns" man that one bugs me.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sir-diealot

Killed, took or got are the phrases I normally use. If there is a small child in the room and I don't know how the parents have raised them I'll say "I got a deer" or if it is a little girl in the same situation I will say "I got one today"
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

WNCTracker

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 29, 2018, 04:22:38 PM
Killed, took or got are the phrases I normally use. If there is a small child in the room and I don't know how the parents have raised them I'll say "I got a deer" or if it is a little girl in the same situation I will say "I got one today"
My little girl says kill...  ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

Quote from: howl on April 29, 2018, 02:51:41 PM
When you feed, selectively cull and photographically monitor your deer herd to the point you have pet names for them, then 'harvest' is the correct word just the same as any other kind of farming. Turkeys where I hunt, on the other hand...

I like your logic sir

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

I say kill usually. I have said smoked or hammered occasionally.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Sir-diealot

Quote from: WNCTracker on April 29, 2018, 04:32:06 PM

Yes but she has grown up around it I am guessing?

John Koenig:

WNCTracker

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 29, 2018, 04:57:51 PM

Of course!  When she was 3 she learned how to quarter a buck while sitting on my tailgate. To quote her, "that meat smells good dada."

Sir-diealot

Quote from: WNCTracker on April 29, 2018, 06:39:57 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 29, 2018, 04:57:51 PM

Of course!  When she was 3 she learned how to quarter a buck while sitting on my tailgate. To quote her, "that meat smells good dada."

Parenting done right!

John Koenig:

roverboy

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 29, 2018, 10:05:11 AM
I kill game , I catch fish and I harvest vegetables. Quiet simple for me.
Yep, that sums it up good.
Listen for the gobble

MK M GOBL

Cut N Run

I say killed, shot, or took a gobbler.  I don't harvest turkeys because I didn't cultivate them.

I have a friend who grows chickens.  He doesn't hatch them, he doesn't kill them, he grows them from chicks to adults and somebody else offs them. He kinda cultivates them, but he doesn't do the harvesting.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Marc on April 29, 2018, 11:41:16 AM
Depends on my mood, and the literary tone I want to set...  I like to sound more smarter than I is...

But, most of the people I interact with on a daily basis are not hunters (not against hunting, just not hunters), and harvesting is a bit less off-putting.  With water fowl maybe I got my limit, and with turkeys, I harvested a bird.

Same here.  It all depends on who I am talking to.  My approach to talking to hunters as compared to non-hunters, or even anti-hunters, is completely different.  It all comes down to the attitude about hunting that I want to convey to the person(s) I am talking to.  When only about three out of every hundred people hunt, it is a good idea to present hunting in the least offensive manner we can.  Sometimes, and especially when talking to certain folks, that means saying "harvest" rather than "kill". 

dublelung

Quote from: Sixes on April 29, 2018, 01:20:26 PM
I hate to see the word harvested in print when discussing KILLING game animals.

Me too! If I caused it to die then I KILLED it. Harvest is a feel good word used to please others.