OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Special Bird

Started by Trumpetyelper, April 27, 2018, 03:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trumpetyelper

My wife started hunting in 2009, and was very proud to be part of a small pact of outdoor ladies.  Her father was battling esophageal cancer at the time, and they talked constantly about her upcoming adventures. She was excited, and so was he.   Her father Jerry's cancer spread much more rapidly that expected, and we lost him shortly after her new found passion for the outdoors came alive.  This morning after she successfully harvested her first bird she started crying.  I asked her why she was crying, and she said "I promised my dad that I would get a bird for him".  This was the first I have heard of the promise, and it makes me sad that life's circumstances prevented me from helping her fulfill this promise sooner.  She is one of the most selfless people I know, and this is a hunt that I will not soon forget.

Happy

Congrats and sorry for your wife's loss. Hopefully she will continue to enjoy the thrills of turkey hunting.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

PharmHunter

MK M GOBL

Will be one she will hold onto forever, congrats on the bird!

MK M GOBL

Marc

Great story...  & Pretty wife!

No other activities create the nostalgia and memories that the outdoors bring...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Big Jeremy

That's fantastic! Congrats to her!

guesswho

That's great.  That beard, Spurs and tailfan deserve a special place.   I hope she gets many more, but none will be any more memorable.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Sir-diealot

Story brought a tear to my eye, I lost my paternal grandfather when I was very young to esophageal cancer, I wish I remembered him better. Only thing I remember about him was him coming to the hospital when I was having a hernia surgery and my father and mother trying to teach me to call him "Nonno" which is Italian for grandfather, I kept calling him "Uncle Nonno" which I remember he did not like much lol.

That bird will be one your wife will remember her entire life and the fact that it fulfills a promise to her father will make it mean all the more special. I am sure her father would have quite the smile on his face.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Ozarks Hillbilly

Congrats to her hopefully it's the first of many more to come.

tomstopper

Congrats to her and sorry for her loss. It's awesome how the outdoors can link to such emotional events in life.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

DP42912

Congrats to her on her first bird!

And F cancer...

Chris O

What a great story to remind me not to take anything for granted. Cancer sucks for sure and probably has impacted everyone of our lives in some way. I bet her dad was smiling down on her when she got her bird

kyturkeyhunter4

Trumpetyelper

Thanks for all the kind words... Side note we measured up the bird.  It was 21lbs, 10.5 inch beard, 1 1/8 spurs on him.  The calls used were a Frank Cox buffalo horn yelper, and a Clint Corder glass call.  It's not the largest bird I've had the pleasure of calling, but it's the most memorable to date.  Cheers and Good Hunting.

Gooserbat

Congratulations to her.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.