turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

covering up the kid

Started by tha bugman, April 27, 2018, 10:28:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

I have been taking my kids alot this year.  Most of the time in a ground blind.  Trying to transition them away from it, so we can be more mobile.  This morning was my son's turn so I took my gobbler chair for him to sit in and I covered him with my net suit top and he fell to sleep predawn.  I really liked it and I think I am going to tweak it a bit for next time.  He needs a little head room so the material is not resting on his head.  I put a couple of sticks up under it and that seemed to help.

Shiloh

How old is he Bug??  I have a 5 year old that will require some camouflage next year and I want to be prepared.  He will be 6 next year and we plan to get serious.  He missed a jake this year, but honestly I wanted him to experience some failure first.  All I do for him is knock off the safety.

Marc

I use one similar to this for the kids, but it is a bit of a pain to set up... 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuFNHPIw-aQ

I might get one (or two) like this next time for the kids:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRHDJ49zP34

Problem with the second type of blind, is that I want to be sitting right next to the child (to communicate with and control the child).  You would need to set up some system with two of them (or so I would think).
I found it to be a challenge to take my little girls this season...  Creating a situation where they can see without being seen is somewhat important if you consistently want any degree of success...  I tried using fallen logs or rock piles as natural blinds when possible, but they desperately want to move or get a better look at things at the exact wrong time...

It was very interesting for me to note the vast difference in perspective as to what I found interesting and exciting compared to what my children did...  We have a gobbling bird headed towards us, and they lose their mind when they see a frog...  I see a big pine cone on the road as something to avoid stepping on, and they see it as something to stop and investigate.
Both of my children (independently of each other) enjoy making little forts and structures out of sticks and leaves...  Last year my oldest made an impressive structure (roof and all), she did so quietly and with patience & enthusiasm while I tried to work some birds that never came.  She wanted to take it home in the worst way, and the only way to convince her that she could not was to let her attempt the impossible task of moving it.

Both my children enjoy dove hunting and duck hunting more, due to being able to move around and see things...  Sitting painfully still and quiet is difficult and to some degree unpleasant for them...  I make sure to have some fun activities (between working birds and after the hunt)...  Frog hunting (as I found this year to be important), looking for the "biggest" pine cones, a quad ride (which is huge for them), sitting on my lap and driving down the dirt road to a new spot, etc...

Both kids can use a box call, and my oldest can cluck, cut, and purr on hers...  My biggest problem with her is getting her not to call...  I had a discussion with her about "over-calling" but was hesitant to explain playing "hard-to-get" to my 7 year old daughter.

It is my impression that I must make it fun for them to some degree, while also showing them that there is some degree of patience and work required to be successful in the field (or in anything for that matter).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Sir-diealot

I use this myself and it is more portable than you may think.  61" height: 60" depth 52" weight is 22 lbs. Only complaint about it is it is supposed to be a 2 man and the weight limit is only 250 lbs. which seems stupid to me, with most people today I would have thought 350 lbs.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

tha bugman

Quote from: Shiloh on April 27, 2018, 11:34:59 AM
How old is he Bug??  I have a 5 year old that will require some camouflage next year and I want to be prepared.  He will be 6 next year and we plan to get serious.  He missed a jake this year, but honestly I wanted him to experience some failure first.  All I do for him is knock off the safety.
He is 5 and right now all he wants to do is just go and watch.   ;D

Big Jeremy

That's hilarious! I love it!