OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Poor remington barrel work. Advice needed.

Started by Fl strutter, April 26, 2018, 04:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fl strutter

Just picked up my new 1187 20 compact I ordered online and I'm pissed. The barrel past chamber has a ring in it that looks horrible. I know they've went down hill over the years but dang. What would yall do about it? I'm sure itll pattern like crap with this ring. Heres some pics.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XPJfNj2P4KJoEDA92

Have the forcing cone lengthened and polished,it should do away with the ring.Look's like it is close to the end of the chamber.

Fl strutter

Bout an inch from chamber. I actually just got off the phone with Remington and they're sending me another barrel. Should have it in 4 or 5 days and just have to return this one. It sucks theyd let this go out but they have went down hill over last few years. At least their customer service was stand up about it. I'm happy as long as next barrel is good.

Gutsdozer

Quote from: Fl strutter on April 26, 2018, 04:49:20 PM
Bout an inch from chamber. I actually just got off the phone with Remington and they're sending me another barrel. Should have it in 4 or 5 days and just have to return this one. It sucks theyd let this go out but they have went down hill over last few years. At least their customer service was stand up about it. I'm happy as long as next barrel is good.

Not trying to scare you but I went thru two barrel exchanges with my 870 about three years ago. I kid you not each was just as bad as the one I sent back. The last one looked half decent (that is being generous) but the bead was practically falling out. Not a big deal since I used a red dot with that gun. I emailed them about the bead and they went silent. I ended up emailing them twice. Once was simply asking how I could fix it myself. All I got was crickets. I have never bought another Remington product since then. I would bet that if I had spent more money on a fancier gun they might have done more. At the very least they might have done it right the first time.

Sir-diealot

From all I have read about Remington here I am glad I got mine back in the 90's Still wish I would have gone for the Browning though.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Gutsdozer

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 26, 2018, 05:49:43 PM
From all I have read about Remington here I am glad I got mine back in the 90's Still wish I would have gone for the Browning though.

I have never had the first issue with the gun itself not counting the barrel. That being said the barrel is a pretty important part of the gun lol.

Fl strutter

Yea I'm hoping the barrel they send will be better. Time will tell.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Gutsdozer on April 26, 2018, 05:58:35 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 26, 2018, 05:49:43 PM

I have never had the first issue with the gun itself not counting the barrel. That being said the barrel is a pretty important part of the gun lol.
I just replaced the extractor on mine as a the extractor, the spring and little pin came out 2 years ago. I had shoulder surgery last year so did not get it fixed then. Other than that not a lick of problems from it.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

drakehammer

Thats one of them new wad stripping rings. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IowaGobblers

The last batch of 20ga 1187s with cantilever slug barrels we got into the shop all had scope bases that were not true/canted and had extremely rough actions. Unfortunate to see the slow decline, but for the most part they were easy to deal with for getting replacements.

tracker#1

I bought one some years back. POA was way off by a foot at 40 yards. Sent it back, my cost, and they tested the barrel. They said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Even sent me back a target they tested with it, which had no POA mark on it ? So I took it to a local gunsmith. He found the problem right away. When they choke "threaded" the barrel it was crooked in the machine. You could see it with the naked eye when the gunsmith showed me. He cut the barrel back and re-threaded it. I also added a true-glow gobble fiber optics sights to help move the POA. All at my cost.... it's now a spare gun, shooting a BPS/3'' and a SXP/3 1/2" for primary guns. That's why they are going out of business.....

LaLongbeard

I hunt with only an old 870  Wingmaster I wouldn't trade for a crate of plastic semi autos.
There are thousands of 20,28,.410 and 12 gauge Wingmasters 870s and semi autos for sale used.  You can easily find one that looks like it's been shot a dozen times, not even broken in yet. I cannot understand why people keep buying new cheaper models and expect them to be flawless, for another couple hundred dollars you could have a gun  that will last a lifetime problem free, if you watch the gun auctions you can sometimes find one cheaper.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

ShootingABN!

maddog3355

I have a 20 year old 11/87. The 28 inch barrel that it came with has a mirror polish like you would see on a Browning. 2 years ago I ordered a short barrel and when I got it I was like you. I spent a full day on it polishing it and I shined it up some but couldn't get the ring out. It actually patterns good but shoots 8 inches high and 8 inches to the right at 40 yards. I'm done with Remington now and that is about all I own.