turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Does camo really matter

Started by ArkyRidgeRunna, April 25, 2018, 03:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArkyRidgeRunna

So theres this video going around on Facebook of a guy killing a bird wearing a quaker outfit with a shiny buckle on the hat and no facemask. He said he made the video to prove to himself and others that camo nor face mask is needed to call in a gobbler. He also says a Wisconsin Eastern is second dumbest in the woods to a possum.

what do you think? do we put too much thought into camo?

tha bugman

Does camo really matter?- NO

Do we put too much thought into camo?- Yes and no

Some folks put too much thought into what camo that they wear but not enough on how much camo that they have around them when they set up or are moving on a bird (using terrain and foilage)

ejhandler

Saw that dude on my FB feed the other day. Funny stuff.

guesswho

Sitting still is more important than camo, but camo sure doesn't hurt.   There are birds in every state that you could call up and kill in a Quaker outfit.   And there are birds in every state that you would be lucky to kill wearing a ghillie suit.   And I know there are birds in Wisconsin that would leave dude just sitting there in his Quaker outfit without a turkey sighting.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Bigeclipse

Quote from: guesswho on April 25, 2018, 03:42:34 PM
Sitting still is more important than camo, but camo sure doesn't hurt.   There are birds in every state that you could call up and kill in a Quaker outfit.   And there are birds in every state that you would be lucky to kill wearing a ghillie suit.   And I know there are birds in Wisconsin that would leave dude just sitting there in his Quaker outfit without a turkey sighting.

this x2.

From my personal experience it is 90% movement that gives you away rather than what you are wearing. How do I know this...I know lots of guys who kill birds every year wearing hunter orange hats or vests during the actual hunt and not just the walk in. That being said...I wear a leafy suit. Since I have started wearing the leafy, I have yet to be busted. Prior to the leafy I had been busted hear and there. I still limit my movements and such BUT I personally feel it gives you a little more room for error. These birds are not crazy smart but their vision is amazing. If they see an object slightly move that is not natural looking then they are out of there but if they see what they thought was something moving but it simply looks like leaf/branch/bush, then they "may" not run. Last year a tom came in all sneaky like and before I knew it he was in shooting range to the right of me kind of looking in my direction. There were no trees in between us so couldn't simply wait for him to go behind something and then bring my gun up. He was coming in slowly but he was coming so I had to move and I figured, oh well if he busts me he busts me. I very very slowly started moving and was able to get my gun up. Not sure I would have been able to do that if I just had normal camo on. just my two cents.

Marc

No...  I do not think camouflage is necessary...  But I do think it can be helpful.

I would rather be sitting in jeans and a t-shirt quietly and still, than sitting next to someone incessantly whispering to me and moving around in leafy camo...

I try to match the color and contrast of the woods, and I do think that it helps conceal us better, and also hide our movements better.  It is tougher to see movement with if the person matches the background, than with contrasting background.

I generally have at least a slight breeze, and some movement of the foliage is normal, and I can probably get away with more movement with good camouflage that matches my surroundings and helps break me up...

I typically wear green camouflage army fatigues, with a top that has more brown camo (I am sitting in tall grass against a tree).  I look for turkey hunting clothes that are quiet to move in, and comfortable to wear.  A couple years back I took someone all decked out in very nice looking camouflage, but he sounded like he was wearing loud plastic bags when walking, or just sitting a bit restlessly.

I do not wear gloves, but I do wear a face-mask...  I have been able to pick out the faces of hunters calling, and were it not for that shiny face, it would have been tough for me to spot them...  And for me, the most likely part of my body to move too much is my head....  A brown handkerchief would probably work as well as any camo mask though.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

howl

That outfit is kinda camo. The modern leaves and twigs look about that same color from a distance. Big blocks of different color break your outline up much better.

On an overcast day like in the picture it'd be fine. Sun shining and moving shade is another story.  The hat for sure left his face in shade, which is about all it takes apparently. I quit the face mask habit a couple years ago and have had no problem from it.

The main reason I wear camo is because it hides mud and blood stains better than solid colors.

1iagobblergetter

No, It makes us as hunters feel like we blend in better and look the part. Non movement is a large portion of staying concealed. Hands and face would be important to have something covering them,but it wouldn't have to be the latest greatest camo pattern or camo period.

outdoors

NO
I HAVE A FREIND THATS A VERYGOOD ARCHERY , ONLY , HUNTER AND HE WHERES JEAN PANTS AND A CAMO TOP , JUST TOO BREAK UP THE OUTLINE
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Gobble!

Extendo Clip

Movement is probably more important, but camo can make movement look more subtle, especially through trees and in shadows.

TauntoHawk

It's movement and camo helps mask movement some

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dr Juice

I knew an older gentleman who use to hunt with a 'duck hunting' camo jacket with blue jeans and did rather well. That being said, I called in a bird for my cuz one year and I was behind him about 40-yds and his legs stood out and I picked up his movement very easily. His pants were a lighter gray and perhaps a little too faded for further use. By the way, he killed the bird that am

Therefore, it's important to restrict your movement while using effective camo in my opinion. Effective camo is NOT faded camo from years of use and washes.

Good luck to all!

wchadw

Quote from: ArkyRidgeRunna on April 25, 2018, 03:09:25 PM
So theres this video going around on Facebook of a guy killing a bird wearing a quaker outfit with a shiny buckle on the hat and no facemask. He said he made the video to prove to himself and others that camo nor face mask is needed to call in a gobbler. He also says a Wisconsin Eastern is second dumbest in the woods to a possum.

what do you think? do we put too much thought into camo?
Just don't wear anything red or blue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ejhandler

Dumb birds or not, I can tell you the conditions in WI at the time this bird was shot were pretty conducive to Pilgrim Camo.  No green in the hardwoods yet with lingering patches of snow, that black and white costume probably blended in better than any leafy green camo.  I would like to see the guy do this experiment again during week D, E, or F. 

But I do tend to agree with most on here.  Minimize movements, make natural movements, camo certainly doesn't hurt when it comes to hiding movements.