News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Does camo really matter

Started by ArkyRidgeRunna, April 25, 2018, 03:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iamjimmychew

Quote from: guesswho on April 25, 2018, 03:42:34 PM
...There are birds in every state that you could call up and kill in a Quaker outfit.   And there are birds in every state that you would be lucky to kill wearing a ghillie suit...

I'm with Guesswho on this one.

Is camo required for every kill? Obviously not.  How many times have you walked over a knoll, through a copse of trees, or by a creekbed and nearly bumped into a critter?  It wasn't because you were camouflaged, it was because you were moving a particular way or through a particular area.

The largest advantage we have when hunting is not what we wear--it's our brain.  It's our best tool.  When used properly (read: cognizance of wind, situational awareness, terrain, environmental factors, etc.) it provides us some quality opportunities.

Cheers,
Jimmy
bratya po oruzhiyu

GobbleNut

Quote from: guesswho on April 25, 2018, 03:42:34 PM
Sitting still is more important than camo, but camo sure doesn't hurt.   There are birds in every state that you could call up and kill in a Quaker outfit.   And there are birds in every state that you would be lucky to kill wearing a ghillie suit.   And I know there are birds in Wisconsin that would leave dude just sitting there in his Quaker outfit without a turkey sighting.

Although somewhat unexpected from this particular poster, this statement summarizes things nicely.   ;D :toothy12:

To assume every turkey in the woods is a walking dumbasss will, in the long run, kill you fewer turkeys.  Yes, there are some clueless gobblers out there,...but there are also a lot of Einstein's, especially in areas that get pounded by hunters. 

Perhaps a more important consideration in choosing camouflage is that you will be known by other hunters as the "walking dumbasss" if you go turkey hunting in garb looking like bozo the clown.   ;D :toothy12: :TooFunny: :newmascot:

guesswho

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 26, 2018, 08:22:14 AM
Although somewhat unexpected from this particular poster, this statement summarizes things nicely.   ;D :toothy12:

Agreeing with me again?   The end must be near ;D
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

GobbleNut

Quote from: guesswho on April 26, 2018, 09:02:17 AM
Quote from: GobbleNut on April 26, 2018, 08:22:14 AM

Agreeing with me again?   The end must be near ;D

After all these years, I am beginning to think you know WTF you're talking about once in a while!   :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

guesswho

I do a good job of hiding it most of the time though.  :TooFunny:
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Sir-diealot

Not as important as some people make out, but dang I look sexy in it so what the heck!
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

tha bugman

:TooFunny:
Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 26, 2018, 02:22:55 PM
Not as important as some people make out, but dang I look sexy in it so what the heck!
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Happy

I like that reply. Kudos to you sir

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Happy on April 26, 2018, 07:38:47 PM
I like that reply. Kudos to you sir
:D Thanks
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

roverboy

I guess we do put to much thought and effort into camo. But, I keep doing it. I try and leave nothing to chance.
Listen for the gobble

WNCTracker

I'm going to go out on a limb and say yes it does. First of all nobody knows if mr pilgrim reaped that turkey or shot it at a distance or even with a rifle, or actually called it to him. Yes, you can get turkeys and deer without camo, but if you want to get close I think you need to at least break up your outline. Deer will smell you a thousand times before seeing you but when they see you i like to blend in. Turkeys being even more keen, I wouldn't want to try to call one and get him to 30 yards without every advantage I have. So when you say you don't need it I think it depends. Are you in a pop up blind, sitting behind a turkey fan, have the turkey looking away from you by using decoys, or ambushing them because you know where they'll be at 5:30 PM every night. I need camo to hunt the way that I enjoy hunting.  Plus, I'm not good enough to hunt without it even with decoys  :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

Probably depends on hunting pressure and the mood of the bird.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

WyoHunter

Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 25, 2018, 10:09:46 PM
It's movement and camo helps mask movement some

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

:agreed:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Greg Massey

Indians, didn't have camo....just leather and feathers .. little war paint...

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 28, 2018, 08:10:38 PM
Indians, didn't have camo....just leather and feathers .. little war paint...
Beg to differ with you there, they would use charred wood or other natural stuff to camouflage themselves as well as the colors of things they wore when hunting.

John Koenig: