Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

MD bird down

Started by Lefty, April 24, 2018, 08:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lefty

So my season has been really slow so far.  Spent 5 days in TN, birds were pretty flocked up and tough to work.  Called in 1 bird there but he came in on the wrong side and I couldn't get a clean shot.

MD hasn't been much better so far.  Been out every day and haven't really gotten in the ball game until yesterday.

Yesterday morning we climb high on a ridge on public to get above an area we had a good idea birds were roosted on.  They were where we thought they would be and at fly down we had some birds working to the call.  They stayed below us for a while but eventually it sounded like they were coming up the hill.  They got quiet for about 10 minutes and the next time I called they were directly behind us on the bench we were on.  The long beard caught us moving and bugged out,  there were 2 Jakes with him and they stuck around for a little bit but got a pass.

We headed out the ridge towards some other birds that were gobbling but were not able to strike anything back up.  We were taking it pretty slow since the woods are so open.  By the time we got where we wanted to drop back down to the road it was 11:30.

I decided to throw 1 last call down into the bottom before we dropped down and that call was met with an immediate gobble.  We quickly setup at the top of a logging road and called again.  He answered and had cut the distance in half.  The next time I called he was on our level and we could see him.  He worked above as he came in and once he saw the decoy he dropped right into gun range and met up with some TSS #9's.  Time of death was 11:40.  That's what I love about this game, it can go from 0-100 in no time.

I sent Paul a text and he called me and said he had to score 67 or I was getting kicked off the team, luckily I just made it......lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

derek

Congrats Jordan!  Love those mountain birds. 
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

Captain Hooks