turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wild Hunt with my Nephew

Started by golfernash, April 19, 2018, 08:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golfernash

I took my 12 year old nephew out yesterday. He shot a nice three year old bird earlier this year and has not hunted since. This map shows what went down.

Red Dot is where the birds were roosting
Blue Dot is our setup
Yellow Dot was where I last heard them gobble.

We heard gobbling at the area of the red dot. We reluctantly setup at the blue dot. This setup had good cover but lousy visibility. It was our only option as I was afraid the birds would see us if we went further north.

I placed my DSD decoys in the road 10 yards northwest of our setup. The open ground west of our setup is a plowed dove field.

There were three birds gobbling in that location and they flew down into the food plot to the north. They answered me several times on my Schaffer crystal but speared to be heading the other way. I cut really hard on last time and heard a gobble that was definitely going away.

I told my nephew that we should hold tight for a little while before repositioning. Just as we were about to get up I see movement northwest of our setup. It was the top of a fan at 40 yards! One of the birds had snuck into the field and strutted all the way to us at the base of a dike where we could not see him.

I knew my nephew could not seen the bird so I told him to point the gun at the decoys. He never saw him until he popped over the file at 10 yards. A perfect shot and he had his second bird! I can now say I had a gobbler sneak up on me in a 15 acre plowed field!

TJK68

Congrats to the young feller.....

SteelerFan

LRD

tomstopper

Very nice. Congrats to him and you.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

1iagobblergetter

Fun hunt.Congrats.. I love going from second guessing myself to a plan coming together!! :icon_thumright:

surehuntsalot

heck of a hunt ...congrats to the young man
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

wade

Nice bird. Thanks for telling us the story.
Do it outdoors

zelmo1

Nice job and bird for the yungin, Congrats to you both  :turkey2:

Twowithone

09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

FANMAN

Nice bird young man,Congratulations.

kjnengr

:happy0064:  That's what its all about.

yankeedeerslayer

Aw yeah. Good thing you didn't just beet feet and saw him. Nice job.
US Army Vet