turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Curious

Started by BB30, April 18, 2018, 04:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB30

I will be heading to Tennessee in a week. Most of the land I hunt in my home state MS is primarily big timber, a few food plots here and there but primarily big woods/mixed pines.

The property I will be hunting is a mix of hardwood ridges and big pastures in TN. Was curious as to some techniques yall use on field birds with or without decoys. Will certainly be enjoyable seeing some different scenery and I am looking forward to having some  ridges to use to move on birds instead of dealing with flat bottom land. I know it comes with some other challenges as well so any advice is welcome.

renegade19

I'd use dekes in the fields.   :popcorn:

cbhunter15

Field birds present a whole new challenge in turkey hunting! They can make you wanna ball up and cry. lol
I'm not a decoy kind of guy but if I had fields to hunt, I might change that tactic. They are killable without decoys but it takes a whole lot of patience and persistence. It seems they are always right in the middle of the field no matter how many times you move on them. If there are hens with him, they will almost always lead him away from your calling. good luck. what part of the state? Im in west tn myself.

WNCTracker

In my personal experience with Henned up field gobblers I've had success slipping back in the woods and moving quickly into position under cover in the direction they're headed and either use a 3/4 jake to tick them off and make them feel challenged so they run in for a throw down or call raspy to the hen and hope she comes to check it out and the gobbler come too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk