turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

MO bird

Started by jakesdad, April 17, 2018, 05:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakesdad

After what was probably the worst weather for a MO opener. Cold,snow and wind didn't make for a great opening day. Did have one gobbler come close (about 150 yds)gobbling his head off that I never saw that ended up walking down an old road to a pipeline. That paved the road to today(4/17) Second day dawned clear calm and about 28 degrees. Gobblers were going nuts. Had set up on a bend in the road and this gobbler sounded off about 100 yds in the timber. Gave him a few tree yelps and he double gobbled. Got up from my spot and walked about 20 yds away and tree yelled on a different call then raced back to my spot. That fired him up. I heard him fly down towards me and I could see him strutting about 60yds inside the woods. I yelped once then gave him a couple hard cuts then followed up right away with my best impersonation of a jake gobble. That's all it took. He broke strut and came running looking to whip somebody. He stepped out on the road at 15 yds looking to dominate and got dominated by a load of longbeard #5s. 6:30 ish am and I'm done. 24.77 lbs 11.5" beard 1 3/16 spur and one broken 3/4 spur. Also had several tail feathers missing from his fan. I'm assuming this dude liked to rumble. See pics in the kill post above.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

harleytom

Quote from: jakesdad on April 17, 2018, 05:47:17 PM
After what was probably the worst weather for a MO opener. Cold,snow and wind didn't make for a great opening day. Did have one gobbler come close (about 150 yds)gobbling his head off that I never saw that ended up walking down an old road to a pipeline. That paved the road to today(4/17) Second day dawned clear calm and about 28 degrees. Gobblers were going nuts. Had set up on a bend in the road and this gobbler sounded off about 100 yds in the timber. Gave him a few tree yelps and he double gobbled. Got up from my spot and walked about 20 yds away and tree yelled on a different call then raced back to my spot. That fired him up. I heard him fly down towards me and I could see him strutting about 60yds inside the woods. I yelped once then gave him a couple hard cuts then followed up right away with my best impersonation of a jake gobble. That's all it took. He broke strut and came running looking to whip somebody. He stepped out on the road at 15 yds looking to dominate and got dominated by a load of longbeard #5s. 6:30 ish am and I'm done. 24.77 lbs 11.5" beard 1 3/16 spur and one broken 3/4 spur. Also had several tail feathers missing from his fan. I'm assuming this dude liked to rumble. See pics in the kill post above.
Great bird and story, congrats!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

paintbrush

Dandy Bird!! Congrats!

xarcher

Awesome. He's a dandy for sure. Lesson learned.....  never take spurs to a gun fight.

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

Sand Man

Very cool and nice bird.  Shame that one spur was busted.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

jakesdad

Ya wish it wasn't either. But that and the missing tail feathers in the fan add a lot of character to the ol boy.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

FullChoke

Jakesdad,

If that sapsucker had been a little more careful with his leg gear, all other things being equal, he would have scored a whopping 71.52 points!

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

cramerhunts

That sounds like a lot of fun right there, great job and congratulations on a dandy gobbler!

3seasons

Congrats on a nice bird.

3bailey3

Congrats on the awesome bird!

xarcher

Saw you shot another butterball.  Dayum!!! 

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

FullChoke

Quote from: xarcher on April 26, 2018, 03:10:31 PM
Saw you shot another butterball.  Dayum!!!
Yeah, wild turkeys in Missouri actually grow pop-up timers in their breasts.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.