OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New Mexico opener

Started by quackaddict, April 16, 2018, 11:41:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quackaddict

Pretty rough opener for me. Hope some of you other NM guys had better luck than I did. Went to a pretty reliable spot where I always hear at least a couple different birds on the tree, even if they are distant...nada. Heard one bird that sounded like he was 20 miles away at 8:45 gobble twice, and that was it. Put about 5 miles on my feet and saw a lot of sign where I always do, but none of it was fresh. Oh well...headed back to the mountains Thursday night to hunt Friday - Sunday. Hopefully the winds stay away!
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

JMalin

Ha, we started threads within minutes of each other.

quackaddict

Quote from: JMalin on April 16, 2018, 11:46:10 AM
Ha, we started threads within minutes of each other.

Sure did. My report was from the southern Gila, so doesn't do you much good if you're headed to the Lincoln. I'm planning on hunting the Lincoln, but not until the first weekend in May, so I'm not much help for you...sorry!
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

JMalin

I haven't had problems finding birds where I hunt, but getting one to gobble on the ground has been a different story.