turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pot Call Moisture

Started by bbcoach, April 15, 2018, 08:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

Question for you guys.  I'm a pot call guy.  I have tremendous confidence in my calling on slate and crystal pots.  How do you handle moisture on those morning there is a heavy dew or 100% humidity?  Most of the time, I like to setup and lay my calls and strikers beside me so I don't have to dig for them after sunrise.  It seems on those mornings with high humidity and heavy dews, they don't play as well or at all without reconditioning.  The strikers that I normally use are dymondwood on crystal and laminated on slate.  INPUT?

Candyman

For slates carry a lighter and dry the surface with the flame. Don't put it too close. Here in Mississippi we have humid conditions all the time. Using the lighter has worked well for me.

tomstopper

These are what I use for the pots (usually just keep them covered until i am ready to use them and then just keep them covered. Use zip locks for my strikers). It work but can be a pain sometimes.

http://www.enticerturkeycalls.com/shop/accessories/enticer-call-cover/

Cottonmouth

I use slate pots all the time. Very humid down here in MS. Usually I'll carry a backup pot in my vest but I've been messing around with some different calling surfaces. I now carry an aluminum pot with a ceramic tipped striker that will play soaking wet and sounds good. Might try that.

daddyduke

I carry a few waterproof strikers for those conditions.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

bbcoach

Great ideas guys.  I figured I would get the waterproof striker post but didn't think about the rest of the ideas so far.  Keep the ideas coming.  I'm going to make adjustments going forward this season and refine my methods and your ideas to fit my calling.

Go G.W.

I use a lighter on slate/glass, you can watch the moisture backing away as you warm it. Also on the tip of my striker (wooden ones of course), just to dry it a bit, not char them.