turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Snowy Black Hills White Tip

Started by POk3s, April 14, 2018, 02:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POk3s

Drove 6.5 hours from my home in Southwest Wyoming to the Wyoming black hills. Stayed in a hotel last night an hour away so that I wasn't setting up camp in the dark. Got to my predermined public land spot and immediately heard a gobble down on private property, then answered by a bird that seemed to be roosted right on the public/private line. I hurry back to my truck to get my stuff ready. Everything is still pretty much packed tight. I hurriedly get ready, start my way down the hill toward the birds and see them pitch out of the tree! It's still 15 minutes until shooting light and 45 minutes until sunrise! Had there been no snow I would've never known those birds pitched out.

This causes me to swerve and set up 200 yards from them. One hen flew out on my side of the fence so I crawl a strutter decoy out to the top of the hill and she comes in on a run and brings the flock with her. Only problem is the tom is "stuck" on the other side of the fence. Hens all around me and a tom strutting back and forth 80 yards away on the other side of the fence gobbling and strutting away. After 45 minutes he finally finds a hole that he'd walked by 6 times and comes into 30 yards but behind some brush. He turns to leave so I move a little, shoot, miss, and then roll him with the second shot. Almost a major screw up. Headed to Nebraska now!!! Hope everyone had a great day of hunting!

http://imgur.com/R3NAG5r
http://imgur.com/AXkCbWp

tomstopper

1iagobblergetter

Can't beat that  :icon_thumright: Didnt even have to unpack.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on April 14, 2018, 03:02:54 PM
Don't encourage him, he'll start thinking he planned it that way.  :TooFunny:

Congrats on the fine snowbird!!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

zelmo1

WiLL B

3bailey3

Congrats, good luck on your next state!

ddturkeyhunter

shedhunta

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Gobble!

Sounds like an awesome hunt. Congrats!

POk3s

Quote from: Tail Feathers on April 14, 2018, 03:15:17 PM
Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on April 14, 2018, 03:02:54 PM
Don't encourage him, he'll start thinking he planned it that way.  :TooFunny:

Congrats on the fine snowbird!!

Hahahahahaha! Planned it the whole way!

Thanks guys. Got birds roosted for the morning!   :turkey2: :turkey2: :turkey2:

CDNduckslayer

What a beauty of a bird!! Congrats and good luck in NE!!

SD_smith

Laid the smack down on a double this afternoon in the hills! Check the thread for my pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sixes