turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

what's the deal with the retro cammo?

Started by Marc_Stokeld, April 12, 2018, 07:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotspur

I have been wearing tiger stripe camo for almost 20 years, green for turkey season and now that I can find it desert tiger stripe for speckled belly hunting

stinkpickle

Happy

I prefer new mossy oak bottomland because it blends really well with where I hunt. Killed plenty while wearing other patterns. The only camo I will not buy anymore is Realtree and that's because of my intense desire to try and never put a penny into Mr waddell's pocket. I am sure he feels the sting. :)

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

tha bugman

Quote from: stinkpickle on April 13, 2018, 10:22:36 AM
It's just nostalgia.
agreed, it is a throwback to good memories to those that wore it when it first came out and a longing of the younger generation to reach back and connect to the past. 

Happy

Quote from: tha bugman on April 13, 2018, 11:05:51 AM
Quote from: stinkpickle on April 13, 2018, 10:22:36 AM
It's just nostalgia.
agreed, it is a throwback to good memories to those that wore it when it first came out and a longing of the younger generation to reach back and connect to the past.
There is some of that also. And on top of it all its cheap and still works. I have some camo that's almost as old as I am.

outdoorsmen

Quote from: Happy on April 13, 2018, 11:02:03 AM
I prefer new mossy oak bottomland because it blends really well with where I hunt. Killed plenty while wearing other patterns. The only camo I will not buy anymore is Realtree and that's because of my intense desire to try and never put a penny into Mr waddell's pocket. I am sure he feels the sting. :)
What does waddel have to do with anything?
I prefer mossy oak because they are associated with more conservation groups like nwtf and du. Realtree isnt and i think bill jordan is arrogant. I think toxy is more down to eart good ol' boy.

TJK68

I grew up wearing Woodland, Trebark and Bottomland when it came out, it was good then, good now. I do prefer Mossy Oak Bottomland....

Happy

Quote from: outdoorsmen on April 13, 2018, 02:15:55 PM
Quote from: Happy on April 13, 2018, 11:02:03 AM
What does waddel have to do with anything?
I prefer mossy oak because they are associated with more conservation groups like nwtf and du. Realtree isnt and i think bill jordan is arrogant. I think toxy is more down to eart good ol' boy.
If you don't know then don't worry about it.

Spitten and drummen

I wear it because its effective and I like it. Now , if you want to buy my hunting clothes , I will wear what you buy. There is not a pattern better for down here in the river swamps of the south.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

dejake

Heck, I'm still wearing a shirt in the original Trebark.

Brian Fahs

I have been wearing greenleaf to turkey hunt since it came out. I still have a bunch of the original made in the USA garments I have been wearing since the early 90s. I picked up some of the new made overseas stuff but still prefer the original for fit and durability. I often wear a leafy cover suit pant and greenleaf top hat and mask. If a gobbler ever picked me out I moved. I have had hundreds of turkeys inside 10 yards that looked right through me.
I love this stuff.

RED NECK

It's something different...back to the future,I never match any of my camo.I wear 3-4 different patterns at once while turkey hunting.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

ezmorningrebel

i prefer the original bottomland and greenleaf over a lot of stuff you see today.  i also like predator spring green and asat a lot.  it might be just my personal preference but i think the more geometric style camo with less details and more contrast helps break you up better.  camo companies went away from that and got really into fine detail to appeal to the hunters eye.

1iagobblergetter

When I was younger army surplus woodland was as good as it got. Like a couple others said the Trebark/Bottomland/Greenleaf worked great back in the day. It also brings me back to years gone (bye). Most generally anymore I grab whatever camo clothes i think i need on sale after season at Wal-Mart.

WyoHunter

I like to match the camo to the area I'm hunting but the best camo is NOT moving. A deer might not even look at you but a turkey seems to know what you are even with camo and not moving. They are suspicious of what that thing is that isn't moving. It always seems one will be looking at you when all the rest don't notice you.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!