turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

what's the deal with the retro cammo?

Started by Marc_Stokeld, April 12, 2018, 07:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc_Stokeld

sorry if this has been discussed before. searched, didn't find any answers. so why is retro cammo the cool thing to wear and put on everything. the cammo patterns are older than a lot of hunters wearing it in the field!

i guess the best thing for me is some of my hunting clothes put me in the "cool" category now!  seriously! and i am talking about my daily wearing clothes.

bigredtn

I grew up with retro hunting clothes til I carried out of college and had my own family.  My dad has allways taught me when hunting it doesn't take a lot just enough to break up your outline and I have killed a lot of deer growing up.  Though with that said I aint taking no chances my first year turkey hunting....hahahaha :OGturkeyhead:

Coop1082

I hunted in hand-me-down Greenleaf camo for practically my entire youth. My dad also wore it so it's the pattern I basically grew up on. When they started making it again, I jumped all over it. Simply it's just a reflection of my youth turkey hunting and it's my favorite pattern and always has been.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

Fl strutter

I think for some it's probably a fad. Some people really like those old bottomland and greenleaf patterns. I've never really cared for bottomland but the greenleaf looks pretty good. I usually try and match my camo to my surroundings especially turkey hunting. In the  woods I hunt mossy oak obsession is perfect and I love it. To me it's the perfect spring pattern.

Marc

Personally, I am not a fan of wearing camouflage as a fashion statement...  It has been a fad off & on for some 20+ years though...

Personally, as far as hunting...  I am far more concerned with color and contrast than I am with the pattern...  Especially for turkeys.  Admittedly for waterfowl, I do like some of the "Kryptec" patterns as they do blend in well and the browns match the surroundings of where I hunt.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

roverboy

I use to wear the old woodland green quite a bit.
Listen for the gobble

Sixes

Not sure what you are calling retro, but I assume the MO patterns, etc.

I started seriously deer hunting (mainly bow hunting) in the late 80s and hunted with my Dad since the late 70s, so I was there when Trebark was first coming out and then Toxey Haas launched MO and Bill Jordan the same with Realtree and at some point ASAT came into the fold. It was all amazing stuff to a young hunter. I was always a Bottomland fan and then Greenleaf, Forest floor, all the early patterns, same with Realtree. I (and my friends) owned Realtree, Advantage, APG, etc. I still love ASAT and recently bought some First Lite gear and it was ASAT.

Then the companies began having "new" patterns almost yearly but I never felt they were any better than the originals. I was so glad to see companies come back out with the early patterns and I hope that my generation have proved to them that we will continue to buy the patterns that we like and started out hunting with. I recently bought a couple of Ol Tom vestless shirts, one in Bottomland and one in Obsession.

What you call retro, I just consider camo ;D

Sir-diealot

I have wondered the same myself but did not bother asking. I like original Mossy Oak Breakup myself which some might call throwback.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Jbird22

It ain't a fad for me. I'll wear Greenleaf/OG Bottomland as long as Mossy Oak offers clothes in said patterns. I have Obsession too and it's fine when everything greens up. However, during early season when there are no leaves, in river swamps where water has recently fallen, or in pine plantations (whether burned or not burned) you will stick out like a sore thumb in Obsession. That's just my personal experience/opinion. 

Cut N Run

I hunted in a Vietnam field jacket and some brown canvas duck pants when I started chasing turkeys, because the army surplus store was about the only place they sold anything camo back in the day.  You could get woodland, sometimes tiger stripe, or WW II patterns and that was it as far as I knew.  Most of the old timers wore solid color green or grey coats and just sat still. 

I have some original TreBark from the 80s and some MO Treestand, but it is so faded, it's not very useful these days. I also still have my first turkey vest that is Spartan (predecessor to Realtree) that has the next to nothing-est seat cushion ever put on a vest.  I don't remember exactly when I got it, probably the early 90s.  It has button closures for the pockets and is made of cotton, though it has held color pretty well. It was such a big change from just stuffing a handful of shells & a knife in one pocket and my old Lynch call in the other of that field jacket & just hunting. I completely forgot about it until I saw this post.

Jim

Luck counts, good or bad.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Cut N Run on April 12, 2018, 11:02:45 PM
  You could get woodland, sometimes tiger stripe,
I don't know why but I have always loved the look of that old tiger stripe camo though I have never owned any.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Uncle Nicky

I never spent a whole lot on camo, whatever is comfortable from the Army Navy store works for me.

Bowguy

Camo is too over rated and over thought. I'm a simple guy I just wear heks. Ugh that stuff is silly. Here's your sign as Bill Engvell would say. I've worn whatever pants the army/navy store has. I like the pockets, fit and durability. Been doing this since the early 80s. That's the last time I thought bout camo real hard. For shirts if its warm I just throw a bug saver top on, they're mesh so they breathe. Cold I wear a cheap top. There's no need to sweat or over think your camo to do so is giving into marketing nonsense. Wear whatever you want, if you think a certain camo has a coolness factor so be it. Most guys don't associate cool w hunting though. It's a way of life with no thought to what you're wearing

LaLongbeard

When I started it wasn't retro yet it was just the best we had at the time. I think there are better patterns available today but turkey hunting means Mossyoak Bottomland and Greenleaf to me. I also don't think camo is nearly as important as some think.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Gooserbat

Everyone has their reason.  Personally I believe some of the older patterns are just as effective as anything new so when buying why not be cool.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.